• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Sparring" ....Where to focus!

Safroot

For me I have to focus on breathing, because my cardio is horrible. I can block alot of attacks and counter well, if I don't have a heart attack first.

I need to take the time to get my cardio right.

In a way I'm very dangerous to anyone that attacks me on the street, because after I hit them with a few very strong techniques I'm probably going to collapse and they will be charged with my murder. I guess I'll have to warn people "please don't attack me it's not worth 20 to life".

WildBourgMan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding where to look, your eyes should be pointed at your opponent's sternum, but you shouldn't be focusing there. Your peripheral vision should take in the entirety of your opponent. It's a skill to develop.

That's exactly what I am trying to do now in my sparring sessions :)

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

For me I have to focus on breathing, because my cardio is horrible. I can block alot of attacks and counter well, if I don't have a heart attack first.

I need to take the time to get my cardio right.

In a way I'm very dangerous to anyone that attacks me on the street, because after I hit them with a few very strong techniques I'm probably going to collapse and they will be charged with my murder. I guess I'll have to warn people "please don't attack me it's not worth 20 to life".

Cardio is one of my major problems during sparring too :bawling:

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Well my problem is a lack of cardio work and continuous karate training for the last 25 years. I was never the best in point kumite or even light contact sparring when I was in the best shape of my life, but I wasn't horrble either.

My problem is I still think like I'm 16 years old, my reflexes aren't real bad at all, but I can't spar more than a minute or two without being very winded.

Now in a real fight I wouldn't be trying to throw as many techniques trying to impress a judge. Getting back to the topic I would focus on my opponent and basically go with my Shotokan background and try to utilize one counter attack or a short sequence in order to end it fast. In my shape I have no other choice for a real scenario. I still have some power, timing and technique, but less speed and poor cardio. I'm not running away that's for sure.

That's another reason I'm real interested in getting to know Shorin Ryu tuite, just another tool in the tool box. I'll probably never really need it and I hope to keep it that way.

WildBourgMan