• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Sparring" ....Where to focus!

Safroot

An inexperienced opponent will look where they are about to attack so will let you know what they plan.

That's exactly what happened to me .... that's why 90% of my punches and kicks were blocked :lol: :lol: :lol:

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mushin is tricky to explain but part of it is to look at your opponent but not focus on one area, instead look and see everything, if you have good reaction speeds then you can be trained to react to any attack from anywhere, even if it's just to move out of the way

That's sound amazing but I think it needs years of practice to achieve, isn't it?!

another weird thing happened during my last sparring session ... I couldn't stop laughing while sparring not sure why may be excitation !! not sure but I am sure of only one thing ... I looked like a big IDIOT :bdaybiggrin: :bdaybiggrin: :bdaybiggrin: in my first round.

Any one had similar experience or I am the only idiot here ? :D :D :D

another weird thing happened during my last sparring session ... I couldn't stop laughing while sparring not sure why may be excitation !! not sure but I am sure of only one thing ... I looked like a big IDIOT :bdaybiggrin: :bdaybiggrin: :bdaybiggrin: in my first round.

Any one had similar experience or I am the only idiot here ? :D :D :D

Oh man...I can promise you I looked a BIGGER idiot, LOL. Yes, you have company here for sure!!! I felt like a total fool, lol. But at least we can only get better from here!!!

For me I find a lot of it is speed. I remember a lot of the pointers my sensei has given over the last few months in mentioning sparring, and there a lots of great tips here. But in the heat of the moment it is hard to remember anything, and by the time I think of something my opponent is ten steps ahead and it's useless. My movements are slow, my reaction is slow, and my brain is slow! Lots of speeding up to do!!!

For me I find a lot of it is speed. I remember a lot of the pointers my sensei has given over the last few months in mentioning sparring, and there a lots of great tips here. But in the heat of the moment it is hard to remember anything, and by the time I think of something my opponent is ten steps ahead and it's useless. My movements are slow, my reaction is slow, and my brain is slow! Lots of speeding up to do!!!

Same for everyone in every sport. Do it more...everything will slow down for you eventually.

Oh man...I can promise you I looked a BIGGER idiot, LOL. Yes, you have company here for sure!!! I felt like a total fool, lol. But at least we can only get better from here!!!

Lol .. As I told you before .. You are my besr friend :)

Same for everyone in every sport. Do it more...everything will slow down for you eventually.

I'm sure this will happen one day :)

My movements are slow, my reaction is slow, and my brain is slow! Lots of speeding up to do!!!

Exactly same here :) but be sure we can do it :karate:

Mushin is tricky to explain but part of it is to look at your opponent but not focus on one area, instead look and see everything, if you have good reaction speeds then you can be trained to react to any attack from anywhere, even if it's just to move out of the way

That's sound amazing but I think it needs years of practice to achieve, isn't it?!

You will get it later, no rush, the best way to try and train it is to partner, one punches either high or low, you have to match their attack but don't know where it will come. Then try throwing random punches at random times. If you can react to most then you are getting there.

Don't worry about laughing, you don't always need to take it seriously, especially when you trip yourself up and land on your backside - don't ask me how I know this....