• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Sparring" ....Where to focus!

Safroot

Today was my second sparring session it was 4 rounds (2 x 1min punches only, 1 x 1.5min punches & kicks and 1 x 2min punches & kicks). This time was much more better than my first one :D

My questions are:

1- Where to focus during sparring so you can see BOTH punches and kicks ?!

2- How to maintain or distribute your effort through out the whole 2 minutes ?, as what happened today is that I wasn't even able to breath after the first minute in the last 2 rounds and this affected my performance :(

3- Is there any suggestions for videos that teach or explain different tactics used in sparring ?

Sorry for asking lot of questions :brow:

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today was my second sparring session it was 4 rounds (2 x 1min punches only, 1 x 1.5min punches & kicks and 1 x 2min punches & kicks). This time was much more better than my first one :D

My questions are:

2- How to maintain or distribute your effort through out the whole 2 minutes ?, as what happened today is that I wasn't even able to breath after the first minute in the last 2 rounds and this affected my performance :(

3- Is there any suggestions for videos that teach or explain different tactics used in sparring ?

Here are some short responses based on my personal experience...YMMV:

1. Focus on the body and only worry about those techniques that matter, don't chase stuff that wouldn't land or score a point. Also look for the openings when your opponent makes a move.

2. Conditioning and relaxation...you may be tense when sparring which wastes energy. Gets better with time.

3. No advice there, I'd rather get that in class.

Here are some short responses based on my personal experience...YMMV:

1. Focus on the body and only worry about those techniques that matter, don't chase stuff that wouldn't land or score a point. Also look for the openings when your opponent makes a move.

2. Conditioning and relaxation...you may be tense when sparring which wastes energy. Gets better with time.

3. No advice there, I'd rather get that in class.

thanks for the advice ... will try it next session :)

Of course, don't ever worry about asking a lot of questions, no matter the rank level. Asking questions is learning!!

That could be the million dollar question because this tactic varies more than one can even imagine. What I focus on depends on my range from my opponent. Therefore, I focus on no particular focal point on my opponent. That doesn't mean that I'm not paying attention; I am!! But whatever I focus on at any given time, I can see every part of my opponent, albeit, I will see both punches and kicks.

CARDIO!! You've got to outlast your opponent, and if you run out of breath, you're not outlasting anything. Wasted movements drain a many of things. Study your opponent, study yourself, make a plan, then carry that plan out. Hopefully, your CI is teaching you how to breathe properly.

YouTube. A ton of free video's. However, some video's covering your demands will not be worth watching. If it looks like a duck, it's a duck!! Trust your instincts wholeheartedly; that'll help your sparring and your video watching.

Good luck; you'll be fine.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Hey!

When I spar I focus on the middle of the torso, so I can see the legs and the arms.

I think the only way to increase your stamina would be to train? Spar as often as you can. I go to a training class that focuses only on sparring.

Don't know about the videos, sorry!

Do-gi.

Of course, don't ever worry about asking a lot of questions, no matter the rank level. Asking questions is learning!!

That could be the million dollar question because this tactic varies more than one can even imagine. What I focus on depends on my range from my opponent. Therefore, I focus on no particular focal point on my opponent. That doesn't mean that I'm not paying attention; I am!! But whatever I focus on at any given time, I can see every part of my opponent, albeit, I will see both punches and kicks.

CARDIO!! You've got to outlast your opponent, and if you run out of breath, you're not outlasting anything. Wasted movements drain a many of things. Study your opponent, study yourself, make a plan, then carry that plan out. Hopefully, your CI is teaching you how to breathe properly.

YouTube. A ton of free video's. However, some video's covering your demands will not be worth watching. If it looks like a duck, it's a duck!! Trust your instincts wholeheartedly; that'll help your sparring and your video watching.

Good luck; you'll be fine.

:)

Great advice as usual :)

Hey!

When I spar I focus on the middle of the torso, so I can see the legs and the arms.

I think the only way to increase your stamina would be to train? Spar as often as you can. I go to a training class that focuses only on sparring.

Don't know about the videos, sorry!

Do-gi.

Thanks for advice :)

My questions are:

I always teach that upper torso should be a focal point. In your periphery you can see the arms and legs but, more importantly, any movement will build from the ground upwards and as a result upper chest/torso movement can be very telling of what technique someone is about to throw.

2 mins is a long time, especially when the adrenaline is dumping into your system. At a very basic level, try not to go full pelt for the whole two mins. Feel out your opponent, then go in for a flurry of activity, then come back and reset for a bit. A longer term strategy is to build up the cardio. Start progressively working your way up to 2 full mins of light skipping or jogging. Then mix it up with interval training: say 10 secs of all out sprinting & 20 secs casual jogging. Rinse and repeat for the full 2 mins. Eventually you'll need less and less recovery time.

Probably sick to death of me posting these videos but I can't recommend them enough:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

My questions are:

I always teach that upper torso should be a focal point. In your periphery you can see the arms and legs but, more importantly, any movement will build from the ground upwards and as a result upper chest/torso movement can be very telling of what technique someone is about to throw.

2 mins is a long time, especially when the adrenaline is dumping into your system. At a very basic level, try not to go full pelt for the whole two mins. Feel out your opponent, then go in for a flurry of activity, then come back and reset for a bit. A longer term strategy is to build up the cardio. Start progressively working your way up to 2 full mins of light skipping or jogging. Then mix it up with interval training: say 10 secs of all out sprinting & 20 secs casual jogging. Rinse and repeat for the full 2 mins. Eventually you'll need less and less recovery time.

Probably sick to death of me posting these videos but I can't recommend them enough:

That looks like a great advice ... I will try it and let you know the results :)

Thank you so much :bowofrespect:

Mushin

Breath

Practice

Mushin is tricky to explain but part of it is to look at your opponent but not focus on one area, instead look and see everything, if you have good reaction speeds then you can be trained to react to any attack from anywhere, even if it's just to move out of the way. An inexperienced opponent will look where they are about to attack so will let you know what they plan.

During sparring practice backing off and taking a deep breath or similar, if your cardio is good then all you need is to pace yourself and breath.

Attack will keep your opponent on their toes and is the best defence, make them work, hit them hard and don't be predictable, do something out of the box and try to surprise them. Imagine being attacked by 3 blokes, would they expect you to leap through the middle and twist the neck of the centre one as in Kata Meikyo. Practice and study are the best advice.