• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring for the first time tonight...

Canadian77

Any advice for a newbie at sparring? Tonight will be my first time ever sparring, and I'm not really sure what to expect. I trust my sensei but I know my reflexes aren't the greatest. Mostly I'm just worried I'll look ridiculous, lol. Any last minute advice for starting out?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Focus on your opponent's chest; be committed, follow each combination through, make him block, keep punching, close down the space, step back at your peril, keep going forward, relax, breath, don't get into a rhythm, use real techniques from your kihon and kata, never use single techniques, follow up and stand your ground, don't chase him, if he steps into your space - nail him.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

At risk of completely contradicting Harkon72's advice I'd suggest having your only goal to be getting familiar with the exercise and environment. Only then would I suggest things like trying to manipulate the environment of sparring and trying to win.

Every dojo is different of course so follow the directions and expectations of your instructor. But when I introduce a student to sparring for the first time I have no performance expectations of them. I simply want them to become comfortable with the exercise. Once they have that familiarity...then they can learn useful things.

Other than that, my best advice is try not to get hit a lot.

:lol:

Not ready for prime time signature removed.

At risk of completely contradicting Harkon72's advice I'd suggest having your only goal to be getting familiar with the exercise and environment. Only then would I suggest things like trying to manipulate the environment of sparring and trying to win.

Every dojo is different of course so follow the directions and expectations of your instructor. But when I introduce a student to sparring for the first time I have no performance expectations of them. I simply want them to become comfortable with the exercise. Once they have that familiarity...then they can learn useful things.

Other than that, my best advice is try not to get hit a lot.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Old post, I know, but:

1) Play to your strengths.

2) Keep moving. I dance around a lot and it completely confuses my opponent. Some of them actually start asking me to stand still. :roll:

Do-gi.

Ugh it was not fun. I felt like I knew absolutely nothing and was starting from square one. I wish I had read this thread beforehand. I see lots of great advice here so hopefully it will get better. I felt it was a whole different world from the rest of my karate, and I have zero skills. I don't think the guy teaching realized that it was my first time. I would have preferred to just spar with the other girl who just started, just to try to get the feel of it a little bit. But maybe throwing you right in is the usual way to learn this? Anyway I wasn't hurt at all, so I know they went easy on me. And boy, was something I read on another thread here so true - the lower belts are the scary ones. The orange belt guy just wailed on me flailing. Oh joy lol. But the black brown and purple belts gave me pointers and were trying to help. All in all not really fun, but hopefully it will get better with time and skill improvement!

Ugh it was not fun. I felt like I knew absolutely nothing and was starting from square one. I wish I had read this thread beforehand. I see lots of great advice here so hopefully it will get better. I felt it was a whole different world from the rest of my karate, and I have zero skills. I don't think the guy teaching realized that it was my first time. I would have preferred to just spar with the other girl who just started, just to try to get the feel of it a little bit. But maybe throwing you right in is the usual way to learn this? Anyway I wasn't hurt at all, so I know they went easy on me. And boy, was something I read on another thread here so true - the lower belts are the scary ones. The orange belt guy just wailed on me flailing. Oh joy lol. But the black brown and purple belts gave me pointers and were trying to help. All in all not really fun, but hopefully it will get better with time and skill improvement!

Sounds like a typical "first time."

And it's a lot like that other kind of "first time." You have absolutely no idea what you are doing, you are hoping the other person doesn't notice. You realize everything people have told you about it is 80% wrong and your lucky if you just get through it without being hurt. And of course the more you do it, the better you get at it.

Not ready for prime time signature removed.

• 2 weeks later...
Any advice for a newbie at sparring? Tonight will be my first time ever sparring, and I'm not really sure what to expect. I trust my sensei but I know my reflexes aren't the greatest. Mostly I'm just worried I'll look ridiculous, lol. Any last minute advice for starting out?

Throw a few fakes. There is one thing you can do, but it may be risky. Basically, throw the same move about two or three times such a jab. Then throw a fake jab, followed by another move such as a punch. I'm not sure if this is the best piece of advice mind you.

Throw a few fakes. There is one thing you can do, but it may be risky. Basically, throw the same move about two or three times such a jab. Then throw a fake jab, followed by another move such as a punch. I'm not sure if this is the best piece of advice mind you.

Sounds like good advice to me; I use fakes and dummies quite a lot, and it's really funny how well they actually work!! Especially the mae-geri one: lift/jerk your knee up as if you about to kick - they usually lower their guard to block - and in that instant you lower your leg and strike at their head.

And don't worry: you WILL get better.