• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Problem with my kiai - Help!

Do-gi

Then again there's excessive Kiaing. If this woman were in my dojo, I'd have to find another.

In my opinion, TKD can get excessive with the kihaps, especially in Olympic sparring.

Not just in TKD but I have seen it in a few tournaments where it is open to all styles. I am unsure of why that is the case though, especially where they scream and shout for every single technique that they do.

Just like in the video that was attached, then in comparison to the WKF sanctioned Tournaments where it is more subdued and only have Kiai's where appropriate.

For those who don't compete in WKF tournaments or haven't seen them before, you'll only find them [Kiai's] in a couple of spots for kata dependent on what one you're doing and which style it originates from.

Example; this is Gojushiho Sho performed by the French National Kata Team:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding as to the reason for all of the screaming is to gain the attention of the judges...you only get one chance to make an impression. For example, at the ISKA tournaments in the Freestyle divisions, the rage of the page is to scream and scream and scream and........., all for the benefits of the judges.

Yes, techniques, or at least the core of the techniques aren't overlooked by the judges, however, in those Freestyle divisions, some of the "tricks" that they execute are mind boggling, at least for me because I can't do those "tricks"...no...I'd look like a big clumsy ox...and then I'd break me somehow and someway.

All of the screams and all of the acrobatics aren't my cup of tea, because, I prefer to go traditional, aka, old school in which at least I don't make a total dork out of myself trying to do things that aren't within my comfort zone.

It takes all of my strength to watch the Freestyle divisions, but I do because of the beauty of the core of the techniques and their amazing abilities. In short, if I can take my head out of the sand, I might learn something, and not grimace whenever I watch divisions other than the traditional one.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I've always liked the acrobatic freestyle. I liken it more to gymnastics. I believe they refer to it as tricking now days. I can't do the jumping spinners anymore. My ankles would hate me. I teach the younger people how to do them if they are interested. Some of them are getting pretty good.

Sparring is honesty the rest is art.

"If you allow it, you'll have it."

I've always liked the acrobatic freestyle. I liken it more to gymnastics. I believe they refer to it as tricking now days. I can't do the jumping spinners anymore. My ankles would hate me. I teach the younger people how to do them if they are interested. Some of them are getting pretty good.

The undeniable advantage of being young; that leaves me out!! Tricking is a speciality that I've never tried, expect with weapons, because I felt that I was more geared towards the traditional genre. I tried gymnastics when I was in high school, and I about killed myself, and I never returned to it.

Hats off to those who can!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!