• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Problem with my kiai - Help!

Do-gi

Kiai? I don't know if I do it right, but I know it works for me to use it. My sensei doesn't tell you when to kiai in Kihon or Kumite, it must happen at the focus of your technique; naturally with your Karatedo. It's the same feeling as when a Kyudo archer feels he can release the arrow. Here is a level of application that has some truth in my view but seems to give a Kiai a supernatural effect. Is there substance to this? I've never seen this effect.

Thoughts? :o

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get with your sensei about this. If you've asked before and you've received no real answer, then press your sensei for a definitive answer. After all, while you're the student, you're also a customer!

A sharp focused yell, just to start the kial ball rolling would be helpful. I know kiai's are long thing from being normal, but beside all of the kiai backgrounds and the like, and they are important, but imho, it's more important for you to get comfortable with the kiai.

Hang in there, and in time, things will work out for the best.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Well. This has turned into an interesting....discussion. :P

Thanks for the bucket load of info about the Kiai.

My instructor has told me what the kiai is for, and why it's necessary. So I know it's not just a fruitless yell. I think part of the problem is that I'm afraid I'll get criticised on it. How it sounds, how loud it is, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love constructive criticism - it's my best friend and I'll have that over compliments any day. A kiai is just a very personal thing (I think) and to have someone say it's pathetic sounding would...I dunno.

For kihon my kiai sounds like ''Sear!'', or ''Sia!" Short-ish and sharp.

For kata my kiai changes to an "Ay-yah!''

Is this okay? I'm particularly worried about the kihon one. I know many people say the sound isn't important....but other's have said that people still expect you to sound 'generic'.

Well. This has turned into an interesting....discussion. :P

Thanks for the bucket load of info about the Kiai.

My instructor has told me what the kiai is for, and why it's necessary. So I know it's not just a fruitless yell. I think part of the problem is that I'm afraid I'll get criticised on it. How it sounds, how loud it is, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love constructive criticism - it's my best friend and I'll have that over compliments any day. A kiai is just a very personal thing (I think) and to have someone say it's pathetic sounding would...I dunno.

A dojo is the place for making mistakes. If you don't make them there, you will never be corrected.

For kihon my kiai sounds like ''Sear!'', or ''Sia!" Short-ish and sharp.

For kata my kiai changes to an "Ay-yah!''

Is this okay? I'm particularly worried about the kihon one. I know many people say the sound isn't important....but other's have said that people still expect you to sound 'generic'.

In some styles your kiai would be absolutely wrong and unacceptable. In other styles they would be perfectly fine. So unless your instructor has prescribed very specific criteria for your kiai then you should be ok.

The important thing is that your kiai actually accomplishes some of the many purposes of kiai. If it does and it actually serves some useful function then that is really all that matters. If it is somehow not correct for your style or dojo your instructor should help you figure it out.

And if you just can't seem to get it right, have some fun with it and just go all out with Bruce Lee style cat kiai. You can never go wrong with Bruce Lee cat kiai. And unlike traditional koryu kiai, Bruce Lee cat kiai actually CAN stun your opponents into a state of ineffectiveness.

:lol:

Not ready for prime time signature removed.

I know of schools that have a trend or fashion when expressing the kiai. They copy each other or the instructor. Some just say "Ay" I have even heard a Welsh sounding "Tei-Ho" on kiai at a local Shotokan club. I can't judge, but mine is a scream, a loud one, it changes each time; as I said, the second Kiai in Pinan Yondan is my favorite; I'm ripping someone's scalp and kneeing them under the chin before finishing with an elbow strike as I turn! I'm hardly going to say a perfect "Tei-Ho" as I do it!

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I do not know if anyone has said anything similar, I don't feel like reading the 50 some replies. However, in my dojo great importance is put onto our kiai. Though they have never truly given a reason why we must do push ups if it is weak, I believe I understand why. The kiai being a battle cry it is much like the lion yoga move: a release of energy and even stress.

Put everything that you have got into you kiai, if you are more worried about how others look at you, then either karate is not your thing, or you still have much to work on.

• 2 weeks later...

jeez we get push-ups if we don't Kiai on turns, katas and khions! Very important.

I don't think it matters so much what it sounds like as long as its genuine!

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka

I've noticed at my dojo that there are a lot of different sounding kiais. Your descriptions above sound just fine. It is more about the oomph you put into it than the exact vocalizations you make. Mine varies a little bit too, but the only time I get corrected is for leaving it out. So I wouldn't worry about what you say, just make sure you say it! :)

Indeed! As we have all learnt from this thread it's about making your Kiai "startling"!

How you do that is down to you!

Chucking ones keys in the face of the opponent is as good as any, but in a karate dojo we assume empty hands of course!

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

• 2 years later...

Lots of great advice on this kiai topic thread. Another point not mentioned as yet is the confidence aspect of using the kiai. It is a confidence building technique. When we laugh it is an outward sound and breath ha! ha! ha!. When we are afraid or startled we gasp with an inward breath. When students shout out the word KIAI! Cannot help myself to be sad and embarrassed for them. Use any other sound please other than KIAI! I like to use the word 'DIE' With a loud burst of ear piercing vibrating energy attached to it. My farther inlaw wanted to see a karate demonstration from me. I just gave him my Karate Kiai, he was stunned speechless like a rabbit caught in the headlights of a car.