• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Injuries

Safroot

I'm 36, iv broken knuckle doing a board break, torn a thigh muscle (likely dehydrated that day big time), iv reinjured a previously broken toe, and more recently I overextended my shoulder and seemingly tore something.

My point is simply that I break easier now then at 26, you have to listen to your body. Also take time to rest and don't take too long to get aback to it. Keep the muscles around the injuries strong!

Just so e advice from my experiences!

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also take time to rest and don't take too long to get aback to it. Keep the muscles around the injuries strong!

Solid advice! I've said it before, taking care of ALL of your body is important. The more exercises (outside of karate, such as weight training) you do the less prone to injury you will be as long as you're doing those exercises responsibly (taking 100 lbs to do arm curls on your first day is not responsible). Take care of your body, and your body will take care of you.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Good comments all. Thankfully I do train a lot outside of the Dojo. I taped the toe last session but as soon as I started kata it came off. I'll maybe try something else (I used padded tape designed for sprains).

Beyond the usual and to expected bruises and bust lip and odd bust nose. The major repeat injury for me is broken toes and metatarsals from sparring and pad/bag work.

Any tips from recovering from Toe injuries? I thought my big toe was just bruises etc but Im suspecting worse at the moment. Still slightly swollen after two weeks and while I can bend it back ok, not so much forward and can be painful to the touch.

Im still training but in sparring Im not using that leg at the moment. Prob going to get an xray just to be sure but looking to see how help it along. Im guessing just time and keeping it safe.

I'm always hurting my toes! Big toe especially. I had 3 sprained toes that go a nice color purple.

Tape them up well but if it really hurts leave training. i didn't and i ended up with

Sesamoiditis:

http://foot.com/site/foot-conditions/sesamoiditis

That hurts like hell.

Generally the gold rule on R.I.C.E works (rest, Ice, compression, elevation)

Sparring seems to be when it's most likely to injure a toe so check foot guards fit well too.

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka

Toe is on the mend, just need to be more careful.

Now I've gone and damaged some ligaments in my left middle finger. haha. Never ending isnt it!

(this after preaching to my 6yo son to keep his fists tight and loose singers get hurt...)

Yesterday was my first injury experience with karate ... nothing serious it was only bruised left arm and right shin :D just wanted to document my first injury :lol:

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

hehehehe!!

There will be more my friend!

I'll add I took (retook/regraded) my 1st kyu the other day, and I passed!

Yipee!

(hence my absence from the forum as I worked on everything for the grading!)

'Before' we fought for our grades, my legs arms stomach etc already hurt! were already 'shot'.

Then we fought...

my ribs .. 'kind'a bruised!

Thigh ... kind'a stiff!

New 1st kyu belt around my waist ...yeah it was worth it!

;-)

Osu!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

hehehehe!!

There will be more my friend!

I'll add I took (retook/regraded) my 1st kyu the other day, and I passed!

Yipee!

'Before' we fought for our grades, my legs arms stomach etc already hurt! were already 'shot'.

Then we fought...

my ribs .. 'kind'a bruised!

Thigh ... kind'a stiff!

New 1st kyu belt around my waist ...yeah it was worth it!

;-)

Osu!

OSU

Oh great, congratulations ... so happy for you :karate: ..... well done that's great hopefully in couple of years I will reach this rank but at that time you will be 6th or 7th Dan :D

Yes I already missed your Kyokushin tips and advice :) ... Welcome back to the forum with your new belt :D :D :D

Yesterday was my first injury experience with karate ... nothing serious it was only bruised left arm and right shin :D just wanted to document my first injury :lol:

What were you doing to get your first injury? Should I say congrats on going through that rite of passage? Lol. I'm glad to hear it doesn't sound too bad at least!