• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Injuries

Safroot

Joint injuries are very common among older karateka. Ballistic performance will blow out the joints unless one is taught to not fully extend your limbs and or not use full power. In the old days many martial artists lived active full lives well into eighties. More recently this is not so true anymore... In Okinawan kata's there are only front kick and in some styles side kick. All the other kicks were added later...

yes for sure, we have in the dojo a 2nd Dan guy (65 years) .. he couldn't even lift his foot to kick ... best partner to spar or do bag work with :brow: :brow: :brow:

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Injuries in MAs can be common if you're in any contact-centric art. Bruises, sprains, strains...all common. Take some time when they happen. A night or two off can pay dividends in the long run. And don't neglect things that continue to nag. Those are the things that can turn into bigger problems if left unchecked. I have a non-union fracture in a wrist thanks to the "I'll work thru it" mindset.

Occasionally, fractures and dislocations will happen and the odd off concussion. Again, deal with it as it comes. Good trauma care on site is a must to mitigate the effects of these things happening.

Of course there are less common things, but those are the biggies. Taking steps like were discussed above can really go a long way to prevent things like this happening. But they will happen. It's the nature of the beast when we train dynamically.

Taking the proper time to heal, especially as we age, is critical in the healing process. As well as working our training around our injuries.

Very Solid Post :up: :up: :up:

Ugghhh I injured my knee in august. Got the surgery in september. Felt like my knee was dislocating with the smallest pressure. sucked but only missed a couple of classes!!

It happened doing Randori, specifically hiza guruma

I couldnt even hit a bag because of the rotation.

I did kata with a compromise in movements because i couldnt bend much. I hit the makiwara, but i used a cat stance (which i know isnt proper form) so as not to rotate the knee, chi ishis, iron pole training and some other stuff.

GETTING OLD SUCKS. You realize how breakable you are. When i was a kid I was indestructible. Injuries lasted days. Now they last weeks or months.

i ALWAYS recommend to young people to do the physically hard work when your young.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

Amen to that.. I'm 42 this month and only took up Karate again since 30 years ago. Since starting again I've had swollen and bruised wrists and shins a plenty but thats pretty much "grin and bear it". I got a pulled groin in Oct (my own daft fault for not warming up properly) and thats still healing now. I already have a dodgy knee (wear and tear) and two weeks back I done the old toe to elbow kick and my big toe is still swollen. That one I might have to get scanned soon. Im currently not kicking with that leg in sparring.

All I've ever had is a broken nose from doing 'light sparring' with a lower kyu grade. Only because the control wasn't there and there was no face contact allowed... Crap happens though. You don't have to be in a class for bumps and breaks.

Other than the usual bumps, I've had a hip year from repetitive movements but again, I've got weak hips since childhood.

A lot of older instructors get joint issues but training has moved away from

The old brutal stuff, probably because people now understand the negative effects it has on the body.

Safe to say, karate is safe if you're in a good, controlled environment.

Beyond the usual and to expected bruises and bust lip and odd bust nose. The major repeat injury for me is broken toes and metatarsals from sparring and pad/bag work.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

Beyond the usual and to expected bruises and bust lip and odd bust nose. The major repeat injury for me is broken toes and metatarsals from sparring and pad/bag work.

Any tips from recovering from Toe injuries? I thought my big toe was just bruises etc but Im suspecting worse at the moment. Still slightly swollen after two weeks and while I can bend it back ok, not so much forward and can be painful to the touch.

Im still training but in sparring Im not using that leg at the moment. Prob going to get an xray just to be sure but looking to see how help it along. Im guessing just time and keeping it safe.

Any tips from recovering from Toe injuries? I thought my big toe was just bruises etc but Im suspecting worse at the moment. Still slightly swollen after two weeks and while I can bend it back ok, not so much forward and can be painful to the touch.

Im still training but in sparring Im not using that leg at the moment. Prob going to get an xray just to be sure but looking to see how help it along. Im guessing just time and keeping it safe.

I recommend checking with your doctor and follow his/her advice :)

Tape the injured toe and the uninjured toe together, but, try to tape said injured toe to the next biggest toe for more stability. HEAT AND ICE over and over and over...

I hope you're feeling better soon!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Yup, tape them together. As it happens I'm just coming off a broken toe. Buddy tape it. Ice it for 72 hours before starting heat. Hit up the aspirin and anti- inflammatories.

Again, take some time off of stuff that hurts. In my case I backed off open mat and just worked technique for a week or so. Then started with flow rolls until it was good to go.