• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

which instructor you like more ?

Every student's journey is different. For me personally-quality is far more important than quantity-the repititions will come with time.

8)

I completely agree with you ninjanurse! When i teach i will vary how i teach with whomever i have.

The quality of techniques i find is way more important than the quantity. because when it comes to the crunch time when a person has to use it they would rather be able to use an effective technique over lots of terrible ones.

Solid post :)

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its important to be challenging as an instructor, but not necessarily a drill sergeant. Each student is different, and each will react differently to different types of instruction. Also, each classroom situation can be different, too. If you have a student sandbagging a lot, then it might be a time to change the instructional approach to them. Maybe a little bit of drill sergeant would be good for them. Or, it may shut them down completely. So in that case, you have to decide if you want them in the class or not, and decide if you are willing to take an approach that might be the straw that breaks the camel's back, losing them as a student.

An instructor should be pushing each of his students to get better. He/she just has to figure out which is the best way to do that for each student, and act accordingly.

I agree. A lot depends on the instructor, student and what they are both trying to achieve. Sometimes the drill sergeant approach is good, especially if you react well to having someone shout at you in that way. Some students will push themselves much harder if someone's bellowing in their earhole the entire time. But also instructors who are calmer can be beneficial too.

Count yourself lucky you get to experience both types :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

for sure I am lucky :D the problem is on Thursdays with the tough instructor I go back home in pieces, couldn't move an arm or leg for 2-3 days after :rofl:

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

for sure I am lucky :D the problem is on Thursdays with the tough instructor I go back home in pieces, couldn't move an arm or leg for 2-3 days after :rofl:

In the tone of a drill instructor (R.Lee Ermy style), "Mission Accomplished!"

:lol:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

One who gets down and does the pushups with you!

I agree 100% with this. My instructor is 63 and still makes things look so effortless. He is of the mind if he has to use others to demonstrate for him then that should be the day he hangs up his Gi and packs it all in. The guy is a machine, it's awesome to watch sometimes. If he catches you skimping or not doing it right then you have to do it all again until you do it properly.

M.

Be water, my friend.

One who gets down and does the pushups with you!

I agree 100% with this. My instructor is 63 and still makes things look so effortless. He is of the mind if he has to use others to demonstrate for him then that should be the day he hangs up his Gi and packs it all in. The guy is a machine, it's awesome to watch sometimes. If he catches you skimping or not doing it right then you have to do it all again until you do it properly.

M.

Our instructors all get down and do this with us as well. It's particularly poignant when we're doing a series of core exercises that feel pretty close to impossible for me, and the sensei is there, doing it well and talking (telling us what to do next)! If definitely both pushes you (he's doing it, so I ought to be) and inspires (wow, he's doing it, I can achieve it!).