• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Stretching"

aes

Yea, you are well off. Better than I was, that is. Yes, my hammy's were really my problem at first. Then it was the side kick. Which I still have a problem with, but I'm working on it with stretching after class. Don't get discouraged. Just keep at it, but don't push yourself too hard. You'll do fine :)

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree with Kickchick. I've always found my muscles easier to stretch when i am totally warmed up and this is the method i use day to day.

However...

I went to a Bill Wallace seminar last year and have read many of his articles (i really respect this guy). He has some very different and interesting opinions on this. At his seminar he made us stretch right at the start of his class with no warm up :o :o :o (this is his trade mark, as well as the amazing 'super foot')

He went onto explain that when you warm up, your muscles 'tighten' (the reflex muscle contraction is increased) as they shorten to prevent injury. In his opinion this meant you increase the resistance to your stretch and were shortening your muscles before you started to stretch them. In his opinion counter productive.

He said it was better to warm up with static stretches starting light and increasing until you are at maximum.

CONTROVERSIAL!

IMHO I've found Bill Wallaces method best for increasing flexibility though it's not a great warm up and you definately need to warm up afterwards if your going to do any other exercises.

At the end of the day every ones different and I think the most important part of stretching is getting into a routine. There is no fast track just 'hard work'.

Bretty