• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should i play football?

hiddendragon98

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Generally or specifically? Amateur/hobby or Professional?

I guess generally...

Pro:

1. increased stamina training

2. increased hand/foot to eye co-ordination

3. Increase teamwork skills

Cons:

1. increased risk of injury (I personally know two people who got signed off from work for 3 month from playing football/soccer due to an unforeseen accident, however in all the years of doing the MA's, apart from the normal bumps and grazes which lasted up to a couple of weeks, nothing). This includes breaking bones and fatigue.

2. Time commitments

3. Increase of costs, eg equipment, fuel, etc...

Is this what you were looking for?

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

I think we need more context. Are you talking about playing for a school team? Are you talking about playing in a league? Are those "pros" as they relate to your martial arts training? Or are they "Pros" as they relate to life in general?

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I think football can be very beneficial for you. You will practice against resisting partners every day, learning how to move with and against them. You will develop some level of footwork, and probably do quite a bit of running in short bursts. Football can also build some toughness, too, based on the physicality of the sport.

Both of my brothers played football, one of them at a small college in the NAIA. He loved every minute of it.

Do you have an idea of what position you would be playing? What's your height/weight?

I loved playing football (American) in high school. I was too small and not quick enough for varsity, but I played on the B team. I was an offensive tackle. It's not glamorous, but I've always been a role player in sports.

Practices took up a fair amount of time. I always threw up at least once during "hell week". Despite pads, my knuckles were always bruised from banging into helmets. On the upside, I enjoyed it, I worked out a lot of aggression, and I made a lot of friends. Oh, and it was an extra-curricular activity to put on college applications.

It worked out great for me, but I know not everyone would say the same.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

• 2 months later...
im 5'7 to 5'8 and about 145 to 150 pounds i kinda wanna play quarterback but im open to more positions but i really didn't like blocking when i played

At 5'7" to 5'8", you'd be a pretty short QB. Unless you have a rocket arm, or play at a school that runs the option, your shot at playing QB might be fairly minimal. Your prototypical QB is 6' at least, although there have been a few great shorter QBs, but even then, they go about 5'10".

Depending on your speed, you might be able to fit into a position like halfback or wide receiver. You might also look at putting on some bulk to gain a bit of weight.

But those are just suggestions, and not hard and fast rules, either. Best of luck, and keep us posted.