• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mid 30's Karate Newbie

JJ77

Totally new to martial arts having never done anything before.... so thought id take the plunge and give Karate a go.....love it!

BUT

ive attended a few classes and am really enjoying the jounery so far.....just one question....

Is it normal to really struggle with timing stances punching and coordination when starting out.....i feel like an Octopus trying to dance at a disco

Cheers

JJ

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Practice, practice, practice...that's the key. You will struggle initially due to the alien motions you are learning.

By practicing hard and often, your body gets used to the new motor functions needed and it eventually becomes 2nd nature.

It's perfectly usual and I've seen it in numerous beginners, don't worry about it.

Best advice, take the basic punches (forward punch and reverse punch) as well as lower block, upper block as well as inside and outside block, practice them as often as possible (some suggest 100 times a day) until it becomes a naturally flowing movement.

Practice, practice, practice...that's the key. You will struggle initially due to the alien motions you are learning.

By practicing hard and often, your body gets used to the new motor functions needed and it eventually becomes 2nd nature.

It's perfectly usual and I've seen it in numerous beginners, don't worry about it.

Best advice, take the basic punches (forward punch and reverse punch) as well as lower block, upper block as well as inside and outside block, practice them as often as possible (some suggest 100 times a day) until it becomes a naturally flowing movement.

solid post :)

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Basically what muttley said. I recently restarted training and struggle with timing as well. I believe it is natural since we are learning something new and it takes time to learn the timing and fluidity.

stick with it :)

.....Is it normal to really struggle with timing stances punching and coordination when starting out.....I feel like an Octopus trying to dance at a disco

Cheers

JJ

Short answer " yes!".

It will come in time, as mentioned here practice practice practice!

p.s.

well done for taking plunge, enjoy the adventure!

Welcome to MA! & karate!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

I've been training in Karate for a few years and earned my black belt over a year ago. This weekend, I attended a class from a different style. And while I feel my Karate is excellent, I felt like a baby in this class. My coordination was horrible.

Keep practicing the basics, because you can't learn to run before you crawl.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

Totally new to martial arts having never done anything before.... so thought id take the plunge and give Karate a go.....love it!

BUT

ive attended a few classes and am really enjoying the jounery so far.....just one question....

Is it normal to really struggle with timing stances punching and coordination when starting out.....i feel like an Octopus trying to dance at a disco

Cheers

JJ

Just as an FYI more than anything, my Dad took up Shotokan in his late thirties. Stiff as a board, never done anything like it. He's now a Sandan Black Belt and does a lot of the running of our club. Very flexible and technical, just a quick message to say anybody at any stage of their life can take up martial arts and become very good at it :)

Hello JJ77 amd welcome to the forum

.i feel like an Octopus trying to dance at a disco

Don't worry co-ordination is always a major problem for adult beginners. Kids don't think about actions, they just copy - it's how they learn so much so quickly. Adults add thinking to the process, don't worry about, co-ordination will come.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

Welcome JJ77! I'm around your age and just started two months ago. And yes, the Octopus trying to dance at a disco is a great way to describe what I've gone through as well. Seems pretty normal - - two others have started since me and expressed the same thing. Yes, it does get better, and quicker than you think. I found I figured out different moves at different paces as well. The outside blocks are just now starting to feel a bit easier, where high blocks came more quickly. I still get muddled when trying to put things together, but it is definitely improving. It's great to see another newbie in the 30s! I look forward to comparing notes. :)