• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How should gis fit?

NewLevel

Probably some crazy questions here. Just recently ordered a Meijin Pro gi.

Love the quality of this gi but it is a little large on me including the gi pants.

I actually called the support number and told them my weight/height and they told me exactly what I needed.

My questions are:

1. How should gis really fit? I like mine roomy but not too huge. Currently, the bottom end of the Meijin Pro gi jacket hangs at my knees. Hopefully these gis will shrink!!

2. Are the pants meant to wear above your navel area or above your hips? (like wearing jeans)

Thanks.

"In time of grave public crisis, one must have the courage to face a million and one opponents..." - Gichin Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gi's are different sizes, People are different sizes and proportions. My last Gi was a Japanese cut; Long Jacket, roomy with short sleeves and big pants with short calf length legs. They look great for Kata. My new Gi is a Modern western cut; long sleeves and legs, short jacket with tight fit. The second is ideal for Kumite, it gives nothing away and is lighter for fast movement. It's horses for courses I suppose.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

It's really up to personal preference, mostly, although some instructors and competitive organizations might have their own guidelines. Personally, I think the jacket hanging to your knees is way too long, but you will have to shrink it with hot water and a hot dryer to see how it really fits. I think if it's much longer than mid-thigh, it's probably too long and should be sent back for an exchange.

Where you tie on your gi pants is also up to you, because people are shaped differently. I know I have to tie mine around my hips, because there is just no way they will reach my waist. On the other hand, I know several people that have to tie them at the waist because they will be swimming in their pants if they tie them lower. If they fit well enough for you to move uninhibited, then they are in the right place.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• 2 weeks later...
It's really up to personal preference, mostly, although some instructors and competitive organizations might have their own guidelines.

Exactly! You need room to move around, but too loose can actually restrict movement, too. Personal preference is generally influenced by your sensei and your peers, but if you compete, check the regulations. For example, the USANKF Kumite rules state that "The gi jacket, when tightened around the waist with the belt, must be of minimum length that covers the hips, but must not be more than three-quarters thigh length." This rule might not always be enforced, but it could be.

Edited by JohnASE

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

• 4 weeks later...

As they come in different styles, and fittings, probably no go is the same.

I always go for a japan cut/kata cut heavy weight but a brand that is quite 'slim' the shureido new wave three and Arawaza crystal would definitely be top of my list.

I like mine loose and off my wrist and ankles. That's how I believe that a gi should fit, imho.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!