• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bunkai

the karateka is actually my sensei as well, hence why we only really have more advanced students to do bunkai with it more safely.

Taikyoku Jodan and Taikyoku Chudan utilize the same stances. The main differences are in Jodan you use Jodan Uke (Upper Block) and a jodan tsuki (upper punch) whilst in Taikyoku Chudan you use Chudan Uke (Middle Block) and Chudan Tsuki (middle Punch).

Taikyoku Gedan you are in Shiko dachi for the duration of the kata. and you use Gedan uke (lower block) and gedan tsuki* (lower punch)

*whilst in shiko dachi, the gedan tsuki turns into a chudan tsuki due to the change in stance (from say sanchin dachi or zenkutsu dachi).

Hi Nidan Melbourne...can I ask a quick question...what will happen to your forum name when you are graded to Sandan? :P

"Nothing is more harmful to the world than a martial art that is not effective in actual self-defense" - Motobu Choki

"Karate has no philosophy. Some people think that the tradition of Karate came from Buddhism and Karate has a connection to the absolute, space and universe, but I don't believe that. My philosophy is to knock my opponent out, due to the use of only one technique. One finishing blow!" - Mikio Yahara

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We teach some simple applications very early on--either while we are teaching the kata, or once the student has memorized the pattern, depending on the student's learning style. We start everyone with the three Kihon Kata created by Chibana Chosin, so the applications are quite straight-forward, anyway, in the beginning. From there, though, we get into the Naihanchi and Pinan kata series, which gets into more effective stuff. Our dojo is highly focused on kata and its application.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Bunkai go hand-in-hand with kata progression, so we show bunkai from the start. With children, we start them with very basic applications. Whether we show them these applications along with teaching the movements of a kata, or after they've gotten the movements down, first, depends on their learning process. Some like it better with getting all the moves, first, before showing basic applications, some like it better with learning the applications along with the movements.

With older youth and adults, we show them basic bunkai in a similar manner to children, albeit tailored for adults, while they're learning the moves (or after, depending on learning process), but then get into more advanced bunkai/oyo once they understand the movements well. That doesn't necessarily mean they have to know an entire kata before we show them bunkai/oyo, just a given waza or series of moves well enough to show them bunkai/oyo for it.

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

I was not taught Bunkai until Sankyu when I was coming up through the ranks.

However I teach my students Bunkai early on. We teach Fukyugata Ichi and Ni as the beginner kata's because they are very straight forward and easy to learn. I will show them the most basic applications for these kata. When we move to Naihanchi's, Pinan's, Niseidi's, Ananku, Rohai, Kusanku, etc. These can really get broken down and the students can see exactly why the perform a particular movement.

I typically ask the students what they think a set of techniques are and usually get very basic answers like kick, punch, block. When I show them the different applications and they realize that there are throws, joint locks, etc. they light up and it gets their mind thinking outside the box.

It's an invaluable teaching tool.

Devil Dog

Godan

Shorin ryu, goju ryu, isshin ryu, kobudo.

the karateka is actually my sensei as well, hence why we only really have more advanced students to do bunkai with it more safely.

Taikyoku Jodan and Taikyoku Chudan utilize the same stances. The main differences are in Jodan you use Jodan Uke (Upper Block) and a jodan tsuki (upper punch) whilst in Taikyoku Chudan you use Chudan Uke (Middle Block) and Chudan Tsuki (middle Punch).

Taikyoku Gedan you are in Shiko dachi for the duration of the kata. and you use Gedan uke (lower block) and gedan tsuki* (lower punch)

*whilst in shiko dachi, the gedan tsuki turns into a chudan tsuki due to the change in stance (from say sanchin dachi or zenkutsu dachi).

Hi Nidan Melbourne...can I ask a quick question...what will happen to your forum name when you are graded to Sandan? :P

hahaha i'll ask patrick to upgrade my username

In my Opinion as a Traditional old Toad :D , if it has no Bunkai; it is not a Kata!

I've learned forms that have no bunkai. But, its still a form, and has training value.

As for me, I think applications should start being learned in the first class. Its never to early to start learning self-defense!

• 1 month later...

Interesting Question. I wrote earlier how I introduce Karate stances through a simple partner exercise. I use this as a warm-up game (Actually, it's simple standup wrestling):

Two partner hold a firm Judo grip on each other. Both have the goal to control their partner's movement. Only Karate stances are allowed. Whoever moves his/her opponent to a wall wins (padded walls only!). Reset and continue immediately! Start with low intensity pushing, then increase intensity, then include pushing & pulling. Experiment with Zenkutsu Dachi, Shiku Dachi/Kiba Dach, Sanchi Dachi, Neko Ashi Dachi.

This exercise teaches intuitively which stance is best for which situation. Dachi Waza Bunkai, if you will...

The same approach should be used for all motions in Karate, including the Kata.

------------

Goju Ryu (Yushinkan since 1989), Shotokan (JKA since 2005)

Interesting Question. I wrote earlier how I introduce Karate stances through a simple partner exercise. I use this as a warm-up game (Actually, it's simple standup wrestling):

Two partner hold a firm Judo grip on each other. Both have the goal to control their partner's movement. Only Karate stances are allowed. Whoever moves his/her opponent to a wall wins (padded walls only!). Reset and continue immediately! Start with low intensity pushing, then increase intensity, then include pushing & pulling. Experiment with Zenkutsu Dachi, Shiku Dachi/Kiba Dach, Sanchi Dachi, Neko Ashi Dachi.

This exercise teaches intuitively which stance is best for which situation. Dachi Waza Bunkai, if you will...

The same approach should be used for all motions in Karate, including the Kata.

I like the sound of this idea, but I would love to be able to see it in action. I think it would have some real value in applying footwork and leverage.

If Kata is the heart of karate, than Bunkai is the soul. It's the most important techniques in the system that actually define your system. Therefore, I teach them first. I never teach a kata before I teach the bunkai. I don't say, "we're going to practice the bunkai for Heian Shodan tody." I just say, "Here's what we're working on today." Then I teach it. When a student has the bunkai understood I say, "Here's the kata that goes with those techniques and movements. This way you can practice wherever you are." Belt is insignificant to me in this regard.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

If Kata is the heart of karate, than Bunkai is the soul. It's the most important techniques in the system that actually define your system. Therefore, I teach them first. I never teach a kata before I teach the bunkai. I don't say, "we're going to practice the bunkai for Heian Shodan tody." I just say, "Here's what we're working on today." Then I teach it. When a student has the bunkai understood I say, "Here's the kata that goes with those techniques and movements. This way you can practice wherever you are." Belt is insignificant to me in this regard.

Never thought about teaching the bunkai and then the kata before. That is a very interesting concept.

Let me ask you; do you find that the kata's are easier to pick up or that it just gives a deeper appreciation for the kata and why they are performing it?

I do things in the direct opposite fashion but I can see value in what you are doing.

I love seeing their faces when they realize what they have been doing and how the kata comes together. Most probably think "when will I ever use this" and then they see the applications and realize the value. It's a really cool thing to witness. However teaching them the bunkai techniques and then introducing them to the kata sounds very interesting.

Can you tell me what value and benifits you have discovered by doing it this way? I may try this as an experiment and see how it works out.

Devil Dog

Godan

Shorin ryu, goju ryu, isshin ryu, kobudo.