• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is the origin of MA?

I have been searching for the real origin of MA but I couldn't find much.

Does anyone know how the MA started? who started it and where?

it's just to have a more clear picture for MA in my mind (History is always important)

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with trying get the correct origin of the martial arts is the lack of historical records (written), secretive histories and political circumstances.

A lot of the historic timelines are "hearsay".

Besides there are so may different types of martial arts, I guess the "most common" origin (especially with eastern MA's) would be from Buddhabadra who travelled from Indian to China. However years before that there were manuscripts on wrestling, gladiatorial combats, etc...

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

As wagnerk says, it's very difficult to trace martial arts back to an origin. That said, it is my belief that systematized fighting methods have existed since the birth of civilization, which would place the origin of martial arts somewhere in Africa or the Middle East. In truth, I don't think it's all that important where martial arts originally came from--as long as you can trace the lineage of your art several generations back, that's probably good enough.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

...In truth, I don't think it's all that important where martial arts originally came from--as long as you can trace the lineage of your art several generations back, that's probably good enough.

I agree with this :)

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

That said, it is my belief that systematized fighting methods have existed since the birth of civilization, which would place the origin of martial arts somewhere in Africa or the Middle East.

I agree. I would also guess that it started somewhere in Africa or the Middle East. Possibly it started in Mesopotamia. Possibly somewhere far away and much earlier that we have discovered yet.

This whole topic would be a very interesting paper (if you have to do one) for a black belt test requirement.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Their is no one origin point as well. That tends to be an issue with most people that want a clean clear cut "this is the start" kind of start off. I think that is why most people go all the way back to India in a attempt to find the start. I believe that if you go back far enough you will see that its a neccessary thing from the time we were cave dwelling club swingers to learn to fight better and develop weapons and such.

I ignore those that bring up Buddhidarma and the like as it shows a lack of understanding. Their is no one point...their are many that weave together to form arts!

Even monkeys fall from trees

I have been searching for the real origin of MA but I couldn't find much.

Does anyone know how the MA started? who started it and where?

it's just to have a more clear picture for MA in my mind (History is always important)

Cave men!

If however you are talking about systemised martial arts, I suggest you look up the likes of Donn Draeger and get some books on Hoplology!

k.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

MA has been around every since societal groups and civilizations have been organizing groups (armies) to protect their land, family, property, etc. There have always been fueding factions amongst the human race, and therefore, the need to oganize and fight have been necessary.

Its likely going to be a geneology that will never be fully traced. There has been a claim for some time that Kalirpayatu is the forerunner of modern Martial Arts, but that claim is tenuous at best. Suffice it to say that most early cultures had some weapons that they trained and used to defend their lands with, and they likely organized at times into groups to defend themselves against other hositle groups, and the Martial Arts were born.