• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Forgot everything !!!

Safroot

A good rule of thumb is for each time you practice a new kata, do the ones you already know twice. This does two things. First, it makes sure that you don't forget you old katas while you were focused on the new one. Second, it helps improve the katas that you already know so that you become better at them (also so it doesn't appear that you just stopped training the other ones). It becomes time consuming after awhile but it is well worth it. Just remember what my signature says: Martial Arts is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

That's actually a good advice. I will try it with my next kata :)

I'm going to take this advice too! I'm still on my first kata, but will likely start learning my second in a few weeks.

Safroot, thanks for getting another helpful discussion going! I feel the same way as you so this thread is helpful for me too. I am finding it is slowly improving with the remembering. I've been avoiding our Friday session, as I found the sensei who runs it to go pretty quickly, and the few times I tried it (early in my first month of taking karate) I felt a bit overwhelmed. I decided to try his class again this past week, three months into training now, and I actually really enjoyed it. The basics are starting to come a little bit quicker, so the combinations he had us do didn't completely lose me, for once! It actually made the class a lot of fun, and I think I'll aim for more Fridays!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just keep repeating things as often as possible. There is as much mental work as physical in our Karate, doing the mental stuff when exhausted is where the muscle memory kicks in.

I am trying to repeat it as much as i can :D

I used to practice everywhere, literally. I really struggled with our first Kata, I even practiced in the works toilet cubicle... :o

Wado

Safroot, thanks for getting another helpful discussion going! I feel the same way as you so this thread is helpful for me too. I am finding it is slowly improving with the remembering. I've been avoiding our Friday session, as I found the sensei who runs it to go pretty quickly, and the few times I tried it (early in my first month of taking karate) I felt a bit overwhelmed. I decided to try his class again this past week, three months into training now, and I actually really enjoyed it. The basics are starting to come a little bit quicker, so the combinations he had us do didn't completely lose me, for once! It actually made the class a lot of fun, and I think I'll aim for more Fridays!

No worries, it's always good to share experiences ;)

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Thanks for replies. Yeah I'll just keep practicing.

Haven't started my first kata yet but we have been doing applications of katas of higher belts heaps of fun. I have actually had a lot of trouble with changing stances and foot work and even just holding my hands up. Lol.

Though we did ground work and I did very well so I'm not a total goose. Lol haha.