• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Forgot everything !!!

Safroot

My advice is don't worry, there is no rush...I know this is different to completely forgetting techniques / basics etc...but I've seen guys that have trained for years still needing positive re-enforcement to correct small problems or incorrect technique (myself included). I think if you ask anyone that has trained for a long duration "have you mastered karate?" or "is your karate perfect?" you would get a resounding NO!

IMO you never stop learning or striving to improve, regardless of the length of time you have spent on the floor. Get ready for a lifetime of learning and questioning :karate:

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be a time when you'll forget less and remember more. Everything takes time...and it should.

Practice those things that you do remember from class. Anything that you forget, your Sensei will bring it back to your memory when you're back in class: Drills will do that.

:)

Thanks for the advice sensei8 .... I am trying really hard to do it :)

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

My advice is don't worry, there is no rush...I know this is different to completely forgetting techniques / basics etc...but I've seen guys that have trained for years still needing positive re-enforcement to correct small problems or incorrect technique (myself included). I think if you ask anyone that has trained for a long duration "have you mastered karate?" or "is your karate perfect?" you would get a resounding NO!

IMO you never stop learning or striving to improve, regardless of the length of time you have spent on the floor. Get ready for a lifetime of learning and questioning :karate:

Totally agree with you.

Yesterday in the class my sensei told me putting more effort while learning the basics will give me more time and focus on fine tuning my techniques later on (instead of focusing on correcting my basics)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad I found this as I felt terribly stupid after my first few classes after forget heaps of it but hey I love it and it's more intricate to do wrist locks etc then my usual boxing combos. A boxer trying karate. :)

Btw knowing other styles has only made learning some stuff harder I think ie stances. I will start in karate fighting stance do some moves look down and I'm in a boxing stance lol. Least I'm not alone in this.

I'm glad I found this as I felt terribly stupid after my first few classes after forget heaps of it but hey I love it and it's more intricate to do wrist locks etc then my usual boxing combos. A boxer trying karate. :)

Btw knowing other styles has only made learning some stuff harder I think ie stances. I will start in karate fighting stance do some moves look down and I'm in a boxing stance lol. Least I'm not alone in this.

I actually feel lost after each new kata :D . today was my 3rd kata and I am completely lost :kaioken:

I actually feel lost after each new kata :D . today was my 3rd kata and I am completely lost :kaioken:

A good rule of thumb is for each time you practice a new kata, do the ones you already know twice. This does two things. First, it makes sure that you don't forget you old katas while you were focused on the new one. Second, it helps improve the katas that you already know so that you become better at them (also so it doesn't appear that you just stopped training the other ones). It becomes time consuming after awhile but it is well worth it. Just remember what my signature says: Martial Arts is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

This is definitely a difficult problem to overcome. When I started doing Kung Fu after years of doing Karate it felt like I was learning how to walk again. Eventually you get in the hang of things so just keep on practicing.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Just to confirm what everyone else says really. It will get easier, its very rare someone will pick up everything immediately.

I do write notes after every single class. If I forget something, i can go back to a lesson 18 months ago and re-work on it.

Just keep repeating things as often as possible. There is as much mental work as physical in our Karate, doing the mental stuff when exhausted is where the muscle memory kicks in.

Wado

A good rule of thumb is for each time you practice a new kata, do the ones you already know twice. This does two things. First, it makes sure that you don't forget you old katas while you were focused on the new one. Second, it helps improve the katas that you already know so that you become better at them (also so it doesn't appear that you just stopped training the other ones). It becomes time consuming after awhile but it is well worth it. Just remember what my signature says: Martial Arts is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

That's actually a good advice. I will try it with my next kata :)

Just keep repeating things as often as possible. There is as much mental work as physical in our Karate, doing the mental stuff when exhausted is where the muscle memory kicks in.

I am trying to repeat it as much as i can :D