• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Forgot everything !!!

Safroot

Just finished my second class .. it's really amazing ... every time I love this art more and more.

Today the sensei taught me the basic punches, blocks, kicks and stances, but my problem is that I feel like I couldn't remember anything from what I have been taught today specially the blocks :-? :-? :-? :-?

I really want to practice all what I have learnt today throughout the whole week till my next class.

Any advice ?!!

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, it'll be like that for a while, learning during class and once you get home, the mind goes blank :)

Anyway, there's a couple of things that you can do...

1. Youtube, eg Kyokushin Techniques

2. DVD's, eg Kyokushin-Kai Karate - From Beginner To Black Belt

3. Books, eg Mas Oyama's Complete Karate Course

4. If any of the students live near you (and your friendly with them), see if they want to do some out of class training :)

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

lol, it'll be like that for a while, learning during class and once you get home, the mind goes blank :)

Anyway, there's a couple of things that you can do...

1. Youtube, eg Kyokushin Techniques

2. DVD's, eg Kyokushin-Kai Karate - From Beginner To Black Belt

3. Books, eg Mas Oyama's Complete Karate Course

4. If any of the students live near you (and your friendly with them), see if they want to do some out of class training :)

Thanks for advice wagnerk ... Actually I have got this DVD from UK couple of days ago but haven't seen it yet but sure I will very soon :D

Youtube videos are very good as well :)

I advise my students bring a note book along to Keiko.

I still take a note book along to every training session I have and make sure I write down the important points covered.

k

Edited by Kusotare

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

I advise my student bring a note book along to Keiko.

I still take a note book along to every training session I have and make sure I write down the important points covered.

k

Good idea. I will try it next time :)

I found the same thing when I first started! I've been going few about two months now. I found that it happened slowly. Some of the basic blocks, kicks, and punches were pretty well entrenched in my mind by about the fourth class, a few of them (especially inside and outside blocks) took a bit longer. Wait until you try to get your kata into your head! That took me about a good month, and I go about 3 times a week. It gets better though, it comes faster the more you go. And remember that the expectations aren't as high when you are a beginner. I do find that I'll start to get the hang of something, get a new correction, and I need a few more classes to get it back in my head again - but this time with the new correction. Glad to hear about another newbie here! I'm loving it too. :)

Glad to hear about another newbie here! I'm loving it too. :)

yes it's very encouraging to find someone like yourself ... just starting a long journey :)

There will be a time when you'll forget less and remember more. Everything takes time...and it should.

Practice those things that you do remember from class. Anything that you forget, your Sensei will bring it back to your memory when you're back in class: Drills will do that.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

My advice is don't worry, there is no rush...I know this is different to completely forgetting techniques / basics etc...but I've seen guys that have trained for years still needing positive re-enforcement to correct small problems or incorrect technique (myself included). I think if you ask anyone that has trained for a long duration "have you mastered karate?" or "is your karate perfect?" you would get a resounding NO!

IMO you never stop learning or striving to improve, regardless of the length of time you have spent on the floor. Get ready for a lifetime of learning and questioning :karate:

"Nothing is more harmful to the world than a martial art that is not effective in actual self-defense" - Motobu Choki

"Karate has no philosophy. Some people think that the tradition of Karate came from Buddhism and Karate has a connection to the absolute, space and universe, but I don't believe that. My philosophy is to knock my opponent out, due to the use of only one technique. One finishing blow!" - Mikio Yahara

Just keep going and practice. I had previous experience and it still took a while for my mind to process what I was learning. It felt like I couldn't remember anything the 1st week training again :)