• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New To Karate. What to start with?

dirtyfishtank

I agree with the sentiments about visiting the schools; trying them out, get a feel for how the people are, what each school has to offer, etc.

But, here is one very important thing that will be paramount in your MA development:

Start with a club that will teach you good basics.

Learning good basics from both a physical and conceptual standpoint is crucial.

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've decided on kyokushin. I had a few lessons and felt great afterwards. As a beginner tho I can only train 2 or 3 days a week as the other classes are more advanced. The club I go to also do Mauy Thai which looked like a good work out. Does anyone think it's a bad idea if I in the mean time do some training in Muay Thai as well as kyokushin just until I get more competent enough to do the other classes? Just to work on my fitness , strength and stamina? Ie will it get me used to techniques I don't want to have for karate or confuse me completely? Ideally I'd like to train 5 or 6 days a week?

Does anyone think it's a bad idea if I in the mean time do some training in Muay Thai as well as kyokushin just until I get more competent enough to do the other classes?

I believe that depends on the person. Some have a higher learning curve, and in that, they can handle multiple MA without any difficulties. If you're a beginner in the MA, I'd be amiss if I didn't suggest that you stick with one or the other, but not both until you've more knowledge in one or the other.

Just to work on my fitness , strength and stamina?

You'll get this from either style of the MA; one or the other. If the classes challenge you overall, your fitness, strength, and stamina will increase most favorably. But in all things, things take time.

Ie will it get me used to techniques I don't want to have for karate or confuse me completely?

Over time, techniques will begin to become more natural to you; without thought, positive muscle memory will cause techniques to flow more naturally to you...over time. Questions directed to your instructor should lessen your confusion, but sometimes, that confusion is brought on by training in multiple MA at the same time. However, that confusion lessens with effective applied knowledge and experience. You determine what works best for you, and in that, you'll discard the ineffectiveness; you, and nobody else.

Ideally I'd like to train 5 or 6 days a week?

That's fine, and at times it's admirable, but what you don't want to have happen is becoming burned-out before the fire deeply within you finally catches, thus burns brightly. So brightly that you can't be denied. 3 times a week is adequate for any level of the MA.

Imho!!

Hang in there and train hard!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I've decided on kyokushin. I had a few lessons and felt great afterwards. As a beginner tho I can only train 2 or 3 days a week as the other classes are more advanced. The club I go to also do Mauy Thai which looked like a good work out. Does anyone think it's a bad idea if I in the mean time do some training in Muay Thai as well as kyokushin just until I get more competent enough to do the other classes? Just to work on my fitness , strength and stamina? Ie will it get me used to techniques I don't want to have for karate or confuse me completely? Ideally I'd like to train 5 or 6 days a week?

Good that you took a decision and congratulations on starting your MA journey :)

I am still a beginner as well and IMO it's better to stick to one style specially at the beginning and your body needs some rest between classes (u are currently doing kyokushin 2-3 days weekly), again that's a personal point of view :D

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.