• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New To Karate. What to start with?

dirtyfishtank

Hi all,

For ages I've been really keen to take up Karate. I've never done any martial arts before, but I'm finally committed and determined to start, but I realized there are many different styles and I was confused immediately. In my area, without travelling too far I have an option of Kyokushin, Goju or Koshinkan.

I am aware Kyokushin is full contact, and that doesn't really bother me (in fact I like the idea). But is it completely different to other styles or more traditional karate? Is it a good idea to start with this? Is it recoginzed everywhere? What about Goju? Does that have contact sparring (which I would prefer). I have no idea what Koshinkan is but the website says "we teach both old and modern karate". What does that mean?

If anyone can provide any advice or links to anything useful that would be hugely appreciated. Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the forum!

To answer some of your specific questions, I will say that Kyokushin is widely recognized in the karate world, but there are MANY organizations that govern it, which can get confusing. Goju-Ryu is also widely recognized, but I couldn't tell you whether there will be contact sparring or not--there SHOULD be, and old school Goju-Ryu will likely have contact sparring, but not all schools do it. Koshinkan is actually a karate organization, rather than a style, and is meant to preserve some old styles of karate like Kojo-Ryu. While the material of the Koshinkan might be good, there may be some unusual things that they do, it won't be recognized widely, and there likely won't be contact sparring (although I could be wrong on that).

To address your questions more broadly, I would say that your best bet will be to visit all three schools. Sit down with the instructor, talk to him/her about what you are interested in and what you would like to accomplish. Watch some classes--primarily ones you would be attending if you joined--and then try some classes. You should get a feel for which school/instructor you like best, and that's the one you should join. Regardless of styles and predefined preferences, your gut reaction to training with people is the best way to find out what you should practice :)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

To address your questions more broadly, I would say that your best bet will be to visit all three schools. Sit down with the instructor, talk to him/her about what you are interested in and what you would like to accomplish. Watch some classes--primarily ones you would be attending if you joined--and then try some classes. You should get a feel for which school/instructor you like best, and that's the one you should join. Regardless of styles and predefined preferences, your gut reaction to training with people is the best way to find out what you should practice :)

Completely Agree ..... visit the 3 schools then decide

Good luck in your MA journey :)

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

I have just started training in Kyokushin school .... I really like it but at the same time it's physically demanding style

you can find more info about it in the following links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyokushinkaikan

http://www.cujickyokushin.com/kyokushinkarate.php

and this link for Mas Oyama (founder of Kyokushin)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mas_Oyama

I really have no much info about the other 2 styles but I hope this post will help you with Kyokushin :D

Welcome to the forum dirtyfishtank. To a large extent Goju Ryu and Kyukoshin are related. I echo wastelanders post, go to the clubs and see whats going on. Key, which has the best instructor, that should be the major deciding factor in selecting where you begin training, rather than pre-selecting a specific style. All the best

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

Thank you for the responses. It's all very helpful. I will do as suggested and try out a few class from each school.

Glad we could help! Please come back afterward and let us know how it all went!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Thank you for the responses. It's all very helpful. I will do as suggested and try out a few class from each school.

No problem, that's what we're here for. :)

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

No worries, you are most welcomed. keep us updated