• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Books that beginners should read?

Canadian77

I love to read, and I understand that researching and reading about karate is encouraged as a part of the training. I wondered whether there were any books you knew of that would be useful to be read by a beginner like myself. I did pick up from the library and read The Karate Way: Understand the Spirit of Practice by Dave Lowry. I think it was a good choice, because although some parts were over my head, I did still get a good deal out of it. I liked that it was a mix of historical information and practical information, dispelled some common myths about karate, and helped a little bit with the lingo. I have seen threads on here about books, which area great, but a little overwhelming for me. Can you recommend books that a beginner could get the most out of?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You would probably like any of Funakoshi's books: Karate-Do, My Way of Life; Karate-Do Kyohan; Karate-Do Nyuman; and there are plenty of others.

Here is a list of them on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Gichin-Funakoshi/e/B000APBQQW/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1390596311&sr=1-2-ent

Hope that helps!

We actually have a very extensive list of recommended books here on KF that might be helpful to you:

http://www.karateforums.com/martial-arts-research-library-vt8082.html

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I'd recommend Shotokan's Secret-Expanded Edition: The Hidden Truth Behind Karate's Fighting Origins by Bruce Clayton. It's a little bias and can appear to be arrogant in places but to me it gives training a purpose that I can understand.

very good thread specially for beginner like myself :D

but is it better to read books about the style you are practicing ? or all karate books will be good for you ??

Any good books about the mental or spiritual aspects of karate ??!!!

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

bushido man makes a great suggestion. I'd also add

"Secrets of the Samurai"-Ratti and Westbrook, for general history

"Living the Martial Way" Morgan, mindset and conceptualization

Hit up the classics:

Five Rings

Art of War

And the new classics:

On Killing/ On Combat- Grossman

Sharpening the Warriors Edge- Siddle

Facing Violence and Meditations on Violence- Miller

These aren't necessarily about karate alone, but there's a ton of good mindset material there.

Karate: The Art of Empty-Hand Fighting~ Hidetaka Nishiyama/Richard Brown

For karateka's, especially those of Shotokan, this book, imho, is quite invaluable across the board. My understanding is that it commands a hefty price nowadays; worth every cent, imho. I don't think that you'll find it in any public library, and if you did, I doubt that the library would even check it out...but I'm guessing because I don't work in the public library system.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!