• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goshindo?

Canadian77

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• 5 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So we had the Goshindo workshop. It was a lot of fun! The guest instructor had a great sense of humour. We were flipping eachother all over the place, lol. He worked on proper break-falls first, and then worked on techniques that added a little more each time until we had a full routine. My karate classes are generally quite varied and I am always learning something new, but I hadn't done anything like this before (other than the break-falls), and we have done a fair bit of self-defense techniques. I quite enjoyed watching one of the routines he taught the younger advanced students. They had a routine of getting someone down on the ground that finished with tucking their feet into the shirt of their gi.

Honestly though, as much fun as the class was, and even though I did learn many new techniques, all of which were great, my favourite part was the end where he answered questions and told us a bit about his philosophy for life. I really like his attitude toward life, and found it inspiring. If anyone has the opportunity to train with Hanshi Alain Sailly, I highly recommend it! :)

So we had the Goshindo workshop. It was a lot of fun! The guest instructor had a great sense of humour. We were flipping eachother all over the place, lol. He worked on proper break-falls first, and then worked on techniques that added a little more each time until we had a full routine. My karate classes are generally quite varied and I am always learning something new, but I hadn't done anything like this before (other than the break-falls), and we have done a fair bit of self-defense techniques. I quite enjoyed watching one of the routines he taught the younger advanced students. They had a routine of getting someone down on the ground that finished with tucking their feet into the shirt of their gi.

Honestly though, as much fun as the class was, and even though I did learn many new techniques, all of which were great, my favourite part was the end where he answered questions and told us a bit about his philosophy for life. I really like his attitude toward life, and found it inspiring. If anyone has the opportunity to train with Hanshi Alain Sailly, I highly recommend it! :)

Good that you liked it :) can you share with us what he told you about his life philosophy ?!

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Good that you liked it :) can you share with us what he told you about his life philosophy ?!

Well, he said it is important to really understand your body, and how it works. That makes the technique easier in martial arts, but it is important in life as well. He goes back to the basic necessities of life - - air, food/drink, sleep, etc. - - and says to take care of yourself with relation to these (get enough sleep, but good food in your body, etc.) Each morning he awakens his senses, focusing for example on the sounds of birds, the smell of his breakfast, etc. He also says to maintain the martial arts attitude outside of the dojo - - not to be lazy at home, etc. It sounds simple, and I know I'm not explaining it very well, but in general it does seem like a good re-focus for life, especially for someone stressed out with day to day things, like I find myself as a mother of two young kids. :)

Well, he said it is important to really understand your body, and how it works. That makes the technique easier in martial arts, but it is important in life as well. He goes back to the basic necessities of life - - air, food/drink, sleep, etc. - - and says to take care of yourself with relation to these (get enough sleep, but good food in your body, etc.) Each morning he awakens his senses, focusing for example on the sounds of birds, the smell of his breakfast, etc. He also says to maintain the martial arts attitude outside of the dojo - - not to be lazy at home, etc. It sounds simple, and I know I'm not explaining it very well, but in general it does seem like a good re-focus for life, especially for someone stressed out with day to day things, like I find myself as a mother of two young kids. :)

That's interesting ... Thanks for sharing :)

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.