• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to prepare for my next class?

Safroot

I had my first Kyokushin Class last week and due to my work shifts I can do it only once a week.

My question is: What can I do to prepare myself for the next class ? I mean in terms of exercises, stretching, food, resting, etc...

:-? :-? :-?

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Give it a couple of days after your first class, as you may be a bit sore :lol: Then just practice what you did in class (basic punches, kicks, blocks - remember the technique at this stage, not speed or power), you may also want to start working on push-ups, sit-up and squats. If you also remember the first kata, Kyokushin Taikyoku Sono Ichi, you can practice that (if not, check out this site).

But apart from that, after all it would only be your second class, so just ease yourself into it. No one is expecting you to get everything spot on (as everyone makes mistakes, even the experienced karate-ka). Mentally, I would also say, go to it like you did the first class :)

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

Give it a couple of days after your first class, as you may be a bit sore :lol: Then just practice what you did in class (basic punches, kicks, blocks - remember the technique at this stage, not speed or power), you may also want to start working on push-ups, sit-up and squats. If you also remember the first kata, Kyokushin Taikyoku Sono Ichi, you can practice that (if not, check out this site).

But apart from that, after all it would only be your second class, so just ease yourself into it. No one is expecting you to get everything spot on (as everyone makes mistakes, even the experienced karate-ka). Mentally, I would also say, go to it like you did the first class :)

Thank you wagnerk. I am already working on push-ups, sit-ups and squats.

That's actually a good website :) I will start practicing the basics

Practice what you've learnt, paying more attention to the things that you're struggling with. It is said, practice makes perfect. So, practice often concentrating on proper execution at all times. Practice slow and deliberate, so that you're aware of your body while executing said technique(s). Remember everything that you've been taught, not allowing bad muscle memory to creep itself in your practice.

By all means, rest when it's required and necessary and when needed. Don't practice when tired because that gives birth to the bad muscle memory and your technique(s) will become ineffective because they're sloppy.

Focus on what you're doing at all times. Don't try to be what you're not; a black belt with many, many years of knowledge and experience.

Above all things, PRACTICE! But practice smartly and not carelessly.

Proper diet is beneficial to the MAist, but always talk to your doctor before starting any diet. You don't want to practice right after a meal; wait at least 30 minutes or more. Food intake is good, but it also drags you while you're practicing.

Even the simplest exercise will be beneficial to your MA betterment. Walking, jogging, running, bike riding, swimming, jumping jacks, and so on and so forth. Make sure that you limber up well before starting any physical activities.

I love your heart! You ask a lot of questions about a lot of different things. That's good!! Things that interest you! That's good because it's your MA journey and you must be accountable for it.

Train hard and train well!! You're going to be just fine!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Practice what you've learnt, paying more attention to the things that you're struggling with. It is said, practice makes perfect. So, practice often concentrating on proper execution at all times. Practice slow and deliberate, so that you're aware of your body while executing said technique(s). Remember everything that you've been taught, not allowing bad muscle memory to creep itself in your practice.

By all means, rest when it's required and necessary and when needed. Don't practice when tired because that gives birth to the bad muscle memory and your technique(s) will become ineffective because they're sloppy.

Focus on what you're doing at all times. Don't try to be what you're not; a black belt with many, many years of knowledge and experience.

Proper diet is beneficial to the MAist, but always talk to your doctor before starting any diet. You don't want to practice right after a meal; wait at least 30 minutes or more. Food intake is good, but it also drags you while you're practicing.

Even the simplest exercise will be beneficial to your MA betterment. Walking, jogging, running, bike riding, swimming, jumping jacks, and so on and so forth. Make sure that you limber up well before starting any physical activities.

I love your heart! You ask a lot of questions about a lot of different things. That's good!! Things that interest you! That's good because it's your MA journey and you must be accountable for it.

Thank you Sensi8 for your nice compliment and very informative and detailed post. I will try as much as I can to follow your advice :D

I really appreciate it :lol:

Thank you Sensi8 for your nice compliment and very informative and detailed post. I will try as much as I can to follow your advice :D

I really appreciate it :lol:

Thank you!! Please take all that I say in its proper context; remembering this always...Your Sensei's advice is paramount over all...Imho!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Cardio, cardio, cardio and more cardio to build your endurance that will help you last longer by not running out of breath when you train :brow: .

100X is better than 10X

Cardio, cardio, cardio and more cardio to build your endurance that will help you last longer by not running out of breath when you train :brow: .

That's what I am exactly doing .... Thanks :D

I'll give you some advice; Relax. That's it; the more tense you are, the less efficient your technique, and the quicker you will tire. If you do Kihon tense; you will feel that you cannot even hold up your guard hand after a while. If you do your Kata tense; you will feel that each one is an uphill battle and the faster you go to finish the more mistakes you make and the whole form is lost. If you fight Kumite tense; you will be amazed at how fit your opponent looks as they rain in combinations as you pray for the bout to end. Relax :D

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I'll give you some advice; Relax. That's it; the more tense you are, the less efficient your technique, and the quicker you will tire. If you do Kihon tense; you will feel that you cannot even hold up your guard hand after a while. If you do your Kata tense; you will feel that each one is an uphill battle and the faster you go to finish the more mistakes you make and the whole form is lost. If you fight Kumite tense; you will be amazed at how fit your opponent looks as they rain in combinations as you pray for the bout to end. Relax :D

I will try :)