• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Of The Same Family!?!?

No matter the style of the MA, be it, TKD, JKD, Karate, Judo, Kung-fu, BJJ, and on and on, they share that one thing...CORE!!

The core allows the expansion of the creation of its methodology and/or ideology. Therefore, we're of the same family.

Yes or no?!?! Your thoughts! Hopefully, this small introduction can spawn some interesting questions as well as thoughts, including some concerns as well.

Thank you, in advance!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Agreed. I always say a punch is a punch and a kick is a kick. I think we should embrace ideas from other styles. Doing so promotes personal growth and gets us closer to the origin of martial arts or as you put it the core.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

I agree :)

And unfortunately like any family there will always be the "black sheeps" (eg McDojo's/McDojang's) and the family members who believe that they are better than you........

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

Sure they're all related. Same bodies and same tools to work it. Also all of these styles are connected in that they have been born out of one another so share the same base and methodology. TKD is derived from Karate, BJJ ultimately from Judo. Karate and Judo are connected through Jujutsu etc. The biggest disparity is when you compare styles which developed worlds away in different times in different places; Kalaripayat is different in many ways to Greco-Roman wrestling which is different to Capoeira which is different to Wing Chun and so on. A lot of stylist differences IMHO can be attributed to cultural differences impacting on methodology and ideology.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I guess the question is, what is the "core?" If the core is physical, then I'd say yes, because there are only certain ways the body can move and bend. Its different when you start talking about philosophies and ideals.

Punch

Kick

Block/Deflect

Strike

Posture

Things like these, we ALL have these in mind as a core; a core that we all share. Styles?!?!?!?!? We amend the core; that's what makes our styles' methodology and ideology and the like.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!