• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Some interesting kicking techniques...

I know that a Jumping Tornado Kick is difficult to perform and control. For example; I can see that it's almost impossible to land it on a target such as the temple or jaw safely in Kumite; you might get away with taking away someone's guard with it as you might with an axe kick; but in sport kumite; in my opinion it is too dangerous. I know it's a flashy kick, the down side of it is the time it takes to perform it; but to answer your question; if for example I was attacked with a weapon and I could get on the closed side of my opponent, or facing his back; then his head would be a fine target for a Tobi Ushiro Fumikomi Geri (a Jumping Spinning Tornado Kick).

I think this is how the flashy technique thing gets started. We learn a kick that is "a little flashy," but we can find an application for it. I imagine this kicker, if he looked into it, he could find some applications for each of these kicks that he performs.

I also tend to agree with Danielle, in the idea of pushing oneself the way he does can be quite rewarding in the pursuit of the Martial Arts.

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved them. That guy is really talented.

What I enjoyed about them (in addition to what's already been mentioned) is the aspect of misdirection. Something that looks like a jump spinning heel kick but becomes a round kick attacks the opposite side of the head from what the target expects. Same for something that looks like a jump spinning inside crescent kick (or "butterfly" kick) but becomes a heel kick has the same benefit.

One more thought: if you develop enough power and flexibility, a kick to the head is an automatic knock-out... just go watch some TKD fight vids. GingerNinja doesn't look like he *couldn't* knock you out with a head kick, yeah? LOL

KY

If you practice weak, you become weak. If you practice strong, you become strong.

• 6 months later...

I love GNT's videos, and after he posted this one, I started using some of them in sparring. They're certainly not going to knock an opponent out (not my kicks, at least), but they're great for distracting to set up a more powerful strike--and they're positively murder in point-sparring.

You are bound to become a buddha if you practice.

If water drips long enough, even rocks wear through.

It is not true thick skulls cannot be pierced;

people just imagine their minds are hard.

~ Shih-wu