• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

interesting video on front leg kicks

guird

Interesting video on kicking such that your lead mawashi-geri, yoko-geri, and ura mawashi geri chamber exactly the same.

It certainly seems to work, as this guy had a 23-0 record in full contact karate despite an injury in his right knee when he was young. Edited: earlier I accidentally stated his karate and kickboxing wins as separate, while really they were the same. Professional karate Association kickboxing was full contact karate.

I'm not entirely sure if this belongs in the karate section of the forum, but I think it's the best match. Bill mainly trained shorin-ryu if I researched correctly.

Edited by guird

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Nice Video, but can Bill kick with his right leg too?

Nope! Judo injury to his right knee took care of that when he was much younger.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Nice Video, but can Bill kick with his right leg too?

Nope! Judo injury to his right knee took care of that when he was much younger.

He actually has a funny story about his kickboxing days as to why they don't call him "Superfeet." While fighting in the ring he once kicked with his right foot and it made contact, which gave him a 100% success rate for that foot, so he decided not to ever use that foot again so that he could maintain that accomplishment. In all actuality he doesn't, as a general rule, because of the Judo injury but the story was a fun way to mystify the people at the seminar.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I do like his kicking method. It worked out really well for him, and I think disguising the kicks with the chamber like he does has a lot of merit. Not a bad method to emulate, but it shouldn't be the only one, either.

You guys know that Bill is a southpaw right? Yep. He's a lefty. He learned how to box a la Marvin Hagler. It's the main reason why his left leg is so dominant.

A lot of the things he teaches are great for point fighting/kick boxing. But some of it really opens his groin up or leaves him susceptible to take downs. Personally, I think that if one is brazen enough to do head kicks, they need to have knock out power. Otherwise, they're going to get deflected instead of blocked and the opponent has a great chance of taking you down.

Well, in the video his groin is wide open, but he's teaching. His kicks have been clocked at 60-70 mph. His opponents knew he was going to kick, therefore, it became a matter of if he will kick, but when. And when he did, they couldn't stop/defend against it. Kicking that fast, imho, negates the wide open groin because his opponent weren't worried about that, they were worried about keeping their heads attached.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Well, in the video his groin is wide open, but he's teaching. His kicks have been clocked at 60-70 mph. His opponents knew he was going to kick, therefore, it became a matter of if he will kick, but when. And when he did, they couldn't stop/defend against it. Kicking that fast, imho, negates the wide open groin because his opponent weren't worried about that, they were worried about keeping their heads attached.

Sure but that's Bill at the peak of his professional life. Most of us including me aren't ever going to approach the speed limits with a lead leg kick, which is almost completely dependent on leg muscle. In fact, I believe that his world record kick was clocked with a rear leg kick. There is no way Bill can clock a 60mph kick with his lead leg.

Anyways I recall several of his professional fights. He tended to use his lead kicks like boxing jabs. I don't remember any knockouts by them. And I don't remember any opponents fearing them like they would a Cro-Cop head kick.

You guys know that Bill is a southpaw right? Yep. He's a lefty. He learned how to box a la Marvin Hagler. It's the main reason why his left leg is so dominant.

A lot of the things he teaches are great for point fighting/kick boxing. But some of it really opens his groin up or leaves him susceptible to take downs. Personally, I think that if one is brazen enough to do head kicks, they need to have knock out power. Otherwise, they're going to get deflected instead of blocked and the opponent has a great chance of taking you down.

Hm, that's a good point.