• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hypothetical - a visting karate student comes to you for...

RJCKarate

I agree with Hawkmoon.

In that, I'd teach more than just the order of the steps because there's much more. If this hypothetical student said, "No, I just want to know the steps, and nothing beyond that", then my answer would be a big fat, "NO. You want me to teach YOU a kata, but without substance. I'm not a kata pimp!!"

"What's beyond the steps?" this hypothetical student might ask.

Well...[in no specific order]

Movement within movement.

Transitional complexities.

Timing.

Focus.

Proper execution.

Applications.

MORE THAN ONE CAN UNDERSTAND AND/OR COMPREHEND if one only wants to learn just the order of the steps to said kata.

For that, I'd say, that this person needs to find another dojo/dojang/etc. The sooner, the better.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Funnily enough, my instructor has refused situations like this before. If you want to be taught something you have to join the club properly, can't come just to kata collect or take away snippets of information back to your own school. If you learn something you have to learn it properly.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Funnily enough, my instructor has refused situations like this before. If you want to be taught something you have to join the club properly, can't come just to kata collect or take away snippets of information back to your own school. If you learn something you have to learn it properly.

I can agree with you on that point. That is why we make them pay a fee to do it.

But what i find really odd is why wouldn't this student ask his/her sensei if they know that kata. As my sensei is not just a sandan but he is also a kata judge with Karate Victoria (Victoria is a state in Australia for those who don't know) and he was required to have knowledge of kata from other styles so he wouldn't be completely surprised by a kata and also have some idea of how that kata should be performed.

so if i need someone to see how i am going with kata from say shotokan then i could ask him. But if he didn't know that kata all that well then he would be honest for one but then would recommend me to go speak to one of his friends from that style that would know that kata well.

Depends on the student, teacher and style.

Many Goju 'schools' teach the same kata...but slightly differently. If a student was directed to learn 'our way' to bring back to their school for analysis, and it was a teacher I respected...then 'yes'. No charge, and no committment.

Then again, there are different ways to perform/interprete any kata...and the version shown may be 'standard'...or not...depending.

This is purely hypothetical, but I just thought it poses some interesting questions, and might spur a good conversation.

A visiting karate student from a similar style, with the permission of his sensei of course, comes to you (through a letter, email, visit whatever way you think is most appropriate) and asks you to teach him a kata, but only that kata, and isn't interested in learning the other parts of the system.

The student wants to learn this kata as he's simply interested in it. You know once the student has learned the kata from you, they will continue to practice it, but will of course do things their own style's way (i.e. types of blocks etc).

Supposing you do have the time to fit this in, do you teach the student this kata, and if yes/no why? Would them offering you a monetary amount make a difference? If the student's sensei is a friend, does that make a difference? What would turn your no to a yes?

When you give your answer if you remark whether you are a 'traditional' martial art, that will also be great for the conversation!

Leaves fall.

I would consider it. Teaching is fun for me, so any opportunity to do so is a good one. If he changes it, then that's his perogative. I could be teaching some regular student right now that might decide to change things later on. There really is nothing I can do to stop it from happening, so why fret too much over it?

I agree with everyone here on all angles...

I would probably agree to teach them but I think I would insist they do a few standard lessons first so I can judge where they are and at what level - rank/grade alone doesn't always let you know this.

If the Kata was done poorly due to bad basics of the student then you would have to correct this first before you can expect them to do the Kata properly, it would be like teaching Bassai Dai (a Shotokan Brown/Black belt Kata) to an 8/9th Kyu, if they don't understand things like hip twists then they won't ever be able to do the Kata justice.

I think the only situation for this scenario to happen is if their Sensei had said they are not ready to progress further yet.