• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hypothetical - a visting karate student comes to you for...

RJCKarate

This is purely hypothetical, but I just thought it poses some interesting questions, and might spur a good conversation.

A visiting karate student from a similar style, with the permission of his sensei of course, comes to you (through a letter, email, visit whatever way you think is most appropriate) and asks you to teach him a kata, but only that kata, and isn't interested in learning the other parts of the system.

The student wants to learn this kata as he's simply interested in it. You know once the student has learned the kata from you, they will continue to practice it, but will of course do things their own style's way (i.e. types of blocks etc).

Supposing you do have the time to fit this in, do you teach the student this kata, and if yes/no why? Would them offering you a monetary amount make a difference? If the student's sensei is a friend, does that make a difference? What would turn your no to a yes?

When you give your answer if you remark whether you are a 'traditional' martial art, that will also be great for the conversation!

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We are a traditional Karate Dojo, and the door is open to everyone. If he wants this kata taught to him, so be it. What he does with it is up to him. He will pay our usual mat fee, and if I know this Kata, I will take time to teach him as long as my Sensei is happy.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

We are a traditional Karate Dojo, and the door is open to everyone. If he wants this kata taught to him, so be it. What he does with it is up to him. He will pay our usual mat fee, and if I know this Kata, I will take time to teach him as long as my Sensei is happy.

In the early days students learned from several teachers. I say yes and I attend and assist at a "traditional" dojo.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

First of all...nice topic.

Supposing you do have the time to fit this in, do you teach the student this kata, and if yes/no why?

While I'm well versed in many kata's inside and outside of the Shindokan syllabus, I will teach said student any kata he/she prefers, providing I know it. In that, I prefer to teach a Shindokan kata because I'm a Shindokanist, and therefore, my dojo is a Shindokan dojo. Yes, I'm a traditionalist to the core, but I'm also eclectic as well.

Would them offering you a monetary amount make a difference?

Nope. I offer everyone free introductory lessons. Besides, said student might like what's seen and what's offered in my dojo, in myself, and in my students.

If the student's sensei is a friend, does that make a difference?

Nope. This said student has already done all that's required of said students sensei before contacting me, and while this sensei is a friend, my dojo is my dojo, and his/her dojo is his/her dojo; let's remember this.

What would turn your no to a yes?

Nothing. What I decide is what I decide. That should be respected from ALL concerned in this matter.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

First of all...nice topic.

Supposing you do have the time to fit this in, do you teach the student this kata, and if yes/no why?

While I'm well versed in many kata's inside and outside of the Shindokan syllabus, I will teach said student any kata he/she prefers, providing I know it. In that, I prefer to teach a Shindokan kata because I'm a Shindokanist, and therefore, my dojo is a Shindokan dojo. Yes, I'm a traditionalist to the core, but I'm also eclectic as well.

Would them offering you a monetary amount make a difference?

Nope. I offer everyone free introductory lessons. Besides, said student might like what's seen and what's offered in my dojo, in myself, and in my students.

If the student's sensei is a friend, does that make a difference?

Nope. This said student has already done all that's required of said students sensei before contacting me, and while this sensei is a friend, my dojo is my dojo, and his/her dojo is his/her dojo; let's remember this.

What would turn your no to a yes?

Nothing. What I decide is what I decide. That should be respected from ALL concerned in this matter.

:)

This is essentially my answer. My Sensei does similar, although when asked to teach a katana that his highest rank doesn't know he generally teaches them as well.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I don't know if anyone's asked this of my instructor or what he'd do if asked, but I do know he has acquired kata himself this way and now teaches them as part of our program.

This is purely hypothetical, but I just thought it poses some interesting questions, and might spur a good conversation.

A visiting karate student from a similar style, with the permission of his sensei of course, comes to you (through a letter, email, visit whatever way you think is most appropriate) and asks you to teach him a kata, but only that kata, and isn't interested in learning the other parts of the system.

The student wants to learn this kata as he's simply interested in it. You know once the student has learned the kata from you, they will continue to practice it, but will of course do things their own style's way (i.e. types of blocks etc).

Supposing you do have the time to fit this in, do you teach the student this kata, and if yes/no why? Would them offering you a monetary amount make a difference? If the student's sensei is a friend, does that make a difference? What would turn your no to a yes?

When you give your answer if you remark whether you are a 'traditional' martial art, that will also be great for the conversation!

I'd ask a few more questions first.

Like others; I'm not interested in money, but my time is precious (and I owe it to my students who want to learn).

When it comes to teaching someone that I don't know Swordwork!! ... That's never going tp happen - I value my life too much!

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

Pretty much this. When I was made 3rd Kyu, I was told to take the class and go through drills and kata. It went smoothly and well, so I can kind of relate to you.

"It's not the style that's important, it's the practitioner. No style is superior to the other if you practice and train hard, ANY style can be effective."

- Me!!!!!!!

as long as they ask you prior to rocking up to train in that one particular kata i see no problem with it.

i would charge him a small fee for that one particular session.

If i know that kata i would teach it. I'm not out to stop anyone from learning any kata or style of karate

Asked to be taught a kata, nothing more nothing less!

Odd!

To me that's a like asking to be shown how to write but not read, on its own without context its meaningless!

Don't get me wrong going to other Dojos and having other Dojos come to you is IMO a great way to learn and expand your understanding of MA, I do wholeheartedly support and promote such things!

I was always given opportunity to do this, and even today in the dojo we are arranging visits to other schools to continue doing this.

So to a degree this 'imaginary' student is doing just that but has missed the much of the point of going to other schools!

Learn a kata.

Can I ask does this 'learn a kata' also include the meanings, and purpose of what and why?

or

Is it just the form the shape that would be taught?

'a' leads to 'b' leads 'c' leads to etc etc...

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.