• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Self Defense Classes

I'm a traditional Karateka and I don't understand this question. Why would you train in MA if it is separate from any use in self defense? If the style is no good for self defense application, then in my view it is not a Martial Art at all.

You could argue that a lot of what we regard as Martial Arts contain superfluous material that isn't immediately practical or the quickest route to learning viable self defense. Karate, Taekwon-Do, Kung Fu and the like are a long term investment whereas if you trained in a self defense class specifically you might get your return (good self defense base) sooner.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a traditional Karateka and I don't understand this question. Why would you train in MA if it is separate from any use in self defense? If the style is no good for self defense application, then in my view it is not a Martial Art at all.

You could argue that a lot of what we regard as Martial Arts contain superfluous material that isn't immediately practical or the quickest route to learning viable self defense. Karate, Taekwon-Do, Kung Fu and the like are a long term investment whereas if you trained in a self defense class specifically you might get your return (good self defense base) sooner.

You also have the discussion of "martial art" vs "martial sport"... Self-defence vs competitions, etc...

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

My stance is clear on this, if it's not practical; if it has no basis in a martial sense then it's not a martial art. Most martial arts based exercises and sports have some practical applications. Even no touch kick sparring can teach us something. But on the other hand if you define Martial Arts as practical application of technique for effective defense, then I'm sorry many so called Martial Arts would fall by the wayside.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I think you are right

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• 2 months later...
krav maga self defense classes is the most effective way to lean street and situational self defense. techniques are simplified and taken from all martial arts forms in the world. its very easy to learn and train at your nearest centers like karatejaipur.in

Yes Krav Maga is in my future plan but now I am concentrating on Kyokushin :)

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Currently I am looking for something close to my place so I have Kyokushin karate, White crane Kung Fu, self defence courses and something called " Ryu Bujitsu Kai Karate " (the website it's saying: "It incorporates a mix of Karate, Ju jitsu, Kickboxing, Grappling , making it a complete martial arts and fighting system.").

I'm not sure about anyone else, but if the 'Ryu Bujitsu' course is friendly and reasonably priced and serious then that sounds excellent! It might give you an all round base for self defence. What you'll need to eventually do is work from that to more realistic situations, of course.

Kyokushin-ryu will certainly teach you how to take a punch!

Nidan - Shotokan Karate

Mukyu- Akikai Aikido

In my opinion, if you are in a Martial Arts class, you should be learning self-defense. Not everyone thinks this way, though, and its my opinion only. Hopefully what you spend time learning as a Martial Art has a side effect of lending to self-defense abilitiy.

In my opinion, if you are in a Martial Arts class, you should be learning self-defense. Not everyone thinks this way, though, and its my opinion only. Hopefully what you spend time learning as a Martial Art has a side effect of lending to self-defense abilitiy.

Absolutely :up: :up: :up:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

• 6 months later...