• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Self Defense Classes

Hello Guys,

For self defense, is it better to train in self defense classes or train in a MA classes or both ?!

If MA which one is the best for self defense in your opinion ?!!!

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whichever one teaches you techniques that you can make work under pressure, and then pressure tests you. Some martial arts programs are best used for personal enjoyment and development, some are best used for fitness, and some are best used for self defense--it's up to you to decide which one you want, and evaluate your options.

The unfortunate problem with most "self defense" courses is that they are often not consistent--usually a class or two a week for a few weeks, and then you're done. You have to keep up with your practice for the rest of your life if you want to be able to use what you've learned for the rest of your life. That's a definite edge that traditional martial arts classes have over the ones specifically labelled "self defense."

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Thanks Wastelander for your comment. so I think a mix of both will be the best !!

The unfortunate problem with most "self defense" courses is that they are often not consistent--usually a class or two a week for a few weeks, and then you're done. You have to keep up with your practice for the rest of your life if you want to be able to use what you've learned for the rest of your life. That's a definite edge that traditional martial arts classes have over the ones specifically labelled "self defense."

This sentiment basically takes the cake for me. Definitely check out your options though. I've come across a few "self defense" courses that have stuck around for years. Also, every once in a while a traditional martial arts instructor will teach a "self defense" series of a couple of classes as a way to get more students and those are always great to attend so that you can get a rough idea of the school. I would start looking out for those classes being that it's new years resolution time and a few schools will be doing seminars to get interest from the people whose resolutions line up with martial arts.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Patrick,

Currently I am looking for something close to my place so I have Kyokushin karate, White crane Kung Fu, self defence courses and something called " Ryu Bujitsu Kai Karate " (the website it's saying: "It incorporates a mix of Karate, Ju jitsu, Kickboxing, Grappling , making it a complete martial arts and fighting system.").

I will start Kyokushin (closest to my place) by 20/01/14 with 3 free trial classes but I am open to try something else if it's more efficient in self defence.

Edited by Safroot

Thanks for the reply. Excellent. That was help people to offer more specific thoughts for your needs. :)

Patrick

I'm a traditional Karateka and I don't understand this question. Why would you train in MA if it is separate from any use in self defense? If the style is no good for self defense application, then in my view it is not a Martial Art at all.

Look to the far mountain and see all.