• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thinking of going rogue

Well I found some reasonable insurance with the help of my friend. I also sat down and talked to him and three of his senior Sensei (not sure if this is right in Korean, he kept calling them master) or maybe Shihan. I am not at all interested in going under their organization. Too many things did not add up and would not make sense for me and my students.

They were very kind to offer but had to decline their offer.

My Sensei wants me to sit down with him and several of our senior Sensei to discuss this. I agreed. Hopefully this will be to tell me they have a solution. We'll see.

Good luck to you!

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I found some reasonable insurance with the help of my friend. I also sat down and talked to him and three of his senior Sensei (not sure if this is right in Korean, he kept calling them master) or maybe Shihan. I am not at all interested in going under their organization. Too many things did not add up and would not make sense for me and my students.

They were very kind to offer but had to decline their offer.

My Sensei wants me to sit down with him and several of our senior Sensei to discuss this. I agreed. Hopefully this will be to tell me they have a solution. We'll see.

Glad that you were to finally solve your insurance problem. Also glad that you Sensei is reaching out to you; sounds promising and this is what I thought that he should've done right off the bat.

Things are looking GOOOD!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...

As far as ranking goes, there are lots of organizations out there that are not style specific, but tend to be more specific about concepts that are taught. You could look into various associations available out there, and see what you can do about joining them for certification purposes, if that is what you want.

Best of luck as you strike out on your own! :karate:

• 4 weeks later...

The way I look at things, when some of these systems were formed, they were taught from generation to generation in secret as a means of self preservation, and I doubt Mr. Jones had to get the approval of any org. to teach little Jones Jr. I guess when evaluating opening a dojo, the purpose should be the factor. Is your goal to preserve the tradition of whatever art you are teaching? Or is it teaching students self defense or sport? That would be a big factor. I love the traditional aspect of my training, but I put more importance on WHAT I am learning. I love training with a gi and my black belt around my waist, but if my Sensei came in and said he no longer required them, I'd train in shorts and an Under Armor shirt! As long as the quality of the instruction was there.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

You don't need an association to get insurance. In fact, they're probably overcharging you for it. You should be paying around $400/year for insurance if you're a school with less than 200 students.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

You don't need an association to get insurance. In fact, they're probably overcharging you for it. You should be paying around $400/year for insurance if you're a school with less than 200 students.

It really depends on where you look for insurance. I found it as cheap as $350 to as much as $799.

In the old days (I'm old) we didn't need insurance. At some point we started using liability waivers to protect the school. Some still use only waivers. To me this is dangerous. You leave yourself open yourself up to litigation.

No you do not need a association to teach or to get insurance. However it does give you a little more protection.

Devil Dog

Godan

Shorin ryu, goju ryu, isshin ryu, kobudo.

The issue has been resolved.

Glad to hear you got everything sorted out!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."