• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Suggestions for home drilling?

xnovak1023

I just finished my second workout of drilling kihon and kata for the day. I was hoping to hear suggestions for any work others do that a beginner in Shotokan, like myself, can use.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I just finished my second workout of drilling kihon and kata for the day. I was hoping to hear suggestions for any work others do that a beginner in Shotokan, like myself, can use.

Do you have any equipment? Without equipment, kata, kihon, shadow boxing, and calisthenics are going to be the biggest items on the menu!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I have a heavy bag, but I just was working on blocking and moving throughout each stance, even putting in gyaku-zuki with the movements.

I need to work on my kata, but my basement (where I train) isn't large enough, and even running through bit by bit and changing step to avoid walls and such makes it feel incomplete.

I have a heavy bag, but I just was working on blocking and moving throughout each stance, even putting in gyaku-zuki with the movements.

I need to work on my kata, but my basement (where I train) isn't large enough, and even running through bit by bit and changing step to avoid walls and such makes it feel incomplete.

It might seem incomplete, but what you're doing is training your embusen muscle memory, even though the darn walls are getting in the way; you'll get to train the order of your steps, so to speak.

Find one kihon a day, and train that one kihon, and only THAT kihon. That could be a punch or a kick or a block or a turn/transition, no matter the kihon, concentrate on that one kihon for the entire day. Get to know said kihon!! Do said kihon slowly, paying attention to your posture, your stance, your everything that's involved in doing that said kihon. Build up your speed, but, for now, proper execution of said kihon is paramount. Make sure your hips drive said kihon. Pay close attention to your particular kihon so that it's as exact as it's suppose to be. Be mindful of your kihon at all times!!

Take your breaks in your training because too much of something can be quite taxing on ones mind, body, and soul. Stay hydrated at all times. Pay close attention to your body; when it's hurting, stop.

Train hard!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

It might seem incomplete, but what you're doing is training your embusen muscle memory, even though the darn walls are getting in the way; you'll get to train the order of your steps, so to speak.

Find one kihon a day, and train that one kihon, and only THAT kihon. That could be a punch or a kick or a block or a turn/transition, no matter the kihon, concentrate on that one kihon for the entire day. Get to know said kihon!! Do said kihon slowly, paying attention to your posture, your stance, your everything that's involved in doing that said kihon. Build up your speed, but, for now, proper execution of said kihon is paramount. Make sure your hips drive said kihon. Pay close attention to your particular kihon so that it's as exact as it's suppose to be. Be mindful of your kihon at all times!!

Take your breaks in your training because too much of something can be quite taxing on ones mind, body, and soul. Stay hydrated at all times. Pay close attention to your body; when it's hurting, stop.

Train hard!!

Good post :)

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Today's kihon for my drills was Age-Uke. I feel I've progressed slightly, with my incorporation for hip movement, hike-te, and the turn over of my wrist. Although, I keep getting caught up in where my blocking arm should be to begin the technique, I am having so much fun learning.

Tomorrow's kihon will be shuto-uke. Any advice I can keep in mind?

Today's kihon for my drills was Age-Uke. I feel I've progressed slightly, with my incorporation for hip movement, hike-te, and the turn over of my wrist. Although, I keep getting caught up in where my blocking arm should be to begin the technique, I am having so much fun learning.

Posture!! Very important!!

Arm shouldn't be fully extended. The arm, at the elbow, should be ever so slightly bent.

Keep elbows close and tight to the body.

Keep shoulders down throughout the technique.

Keep fingers together.

Snap your technique, but only at the very last second.

Kiai. Concentrating on your abs.

Focus.

Don't over analysis the darn thing.

Use your hips, but not too early, and not too late.

Watch your stance. Is it too wide or too long or too narrow.

Remember everything that your instructor taught you concerning the "Do's" and "Don'ts". His/her teaching is paramount.

Have your arms cross one another towards the very middle, but not to wide and/or way, way outside your opposite side.

Break each part down, and in that, be specific without being ridicules; over analyzing.

Depending on the style, things start and end at the same time, and with others, it's more of a domino effect.

Good luck, have fun, and train hard.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Posture!! Very important!!

Arm shouldn't be fully extended. The arm, at the elbow, should be ever so slightly bent.

Keep elbows close and tight to the body.

Keep shoulders down throughout the technique.

Keep fingers together.

Snap your technique, but only at the very last second.

Kiai. Concentrating on your abs.

Focus.

Don't over analysis the darn thing.

Use your hips, but not too early, and not too late.

Watch your stance. Is it too wide or too long or too narrow.

Remember everything that your instructor taught you concerning the "Do's" and "Don'ts". His/her teaching is paramount.

Have your arms cross one another towards the very middle, but not to wide and/or way, way outside your opposite side.

Break each part down, and in that, be specific without being ridicules; over analyzing.

Depending on the style, things start and end at the same time, and with others, it's more of a domino effect.

Good luck, have fun, and train hard.

Absolutely hit the nail on the head - brilliant post.