• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First Kyokushin Class

Safroot

Hello Guys,

Finally after about 2 months of research and with your helpful and encouraging posts, I have decided to start Kyokushinka by mid January after the Christmas and new year's holidays ... I will have 3 free trial classes in a dojo about 5 minutes walk from my home .... really excited :)

I need your advice for my first class ... what I would expect? how can I assess the dojo and the instructor to decide to continue or not? what to concentrate on? ..... etc

Also, can anyone explain to me how can I (with nil knowledge about Karate) train with other guys who have been training for long time and more experienced than me?

Thank you

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
...Finally after about 2 months of research and with your helpful and encouraging posts, I have decided to start Kyokushinka by mid January after the Christmas and new year's holidays ... I will have 3 free trial classes in a dojo about 5 minutes walk from my home .... really excited :)

Cool, glad you've decided to start your martial arts journey.

...I need your advice for my first class ... what I would expect? how can I assess the dojo and the instructor to decide to continue or not? what to concentrate on? ..... etc...

Depends on what it is you are looking for in a dojo/instructor... A few common things would be:

1. A black belt instructor (however some clubs will allow instructors from 3rd kyu/brown belt)

2. A variety of things in class (they may not do all of them in one class/session, mind you), eg sparring (however some clubs will not allow beginners to spar until they have grasped the basics) - this can be:

Go Hon Kumite (five step sparring)/Sanbon Kumite (3 step sparring)/Kihon Ippon Kumite (basic one step sparring)/Jiyu Ippon Kumite (semi-free one step sparring) and or Jiyu Kumite (free sparring)

3. Partner Work

4. Kata

5. Techniques

6. Pad work

Then there's the more "unseen" things, like how does the club make you feel? What are the attitudes like of the higher grades? Do the students and the instructor show control with their techniques? etc...

...Also, can anyone explain to me how can I (with nil knowledge about Karate) train with other guys who have been training for long time and more experienced than me?...

Like all of us before and now (as there will always be someone with more experience, skill, strength, etc out there when compared to us), take it one step at a time :)

Seriously, classes are structured in such a way as to introduce beginners to the art, techniques, club, etc... That's one of the reasons why the grading system (kyu and dan levels) are used. They won't just throw you to the "wolves" (yet, anyway :) ).

However the main thing is to enjoy yourself and don't over think it.

Edited by wagnerk

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

why don't everyone share their first class experience ? how did u feel? what did you do? .......

your experiences please, that would be fun ..... :lol:

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

why don't everyone share their first class experience ? how did u feel? what did you do? .......

your experiences please, that would be fun ..... :lol:

Do you mean with Kyokushin only or in the martial arts in general? If kyokushin, then I guess we'll continue in this thread. If you mean in the martial art in general, then start a new thread :)

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

My first class with my present sensei was after a break of 6 years. I wore a white belt, I was out of shape and very scared. Sensei Williams had a fearsome reputation. I had 20 years of Karate before I went there, but in a different style. He asked me about my previous training; he just raised his shoulders and said, "I can see there is Karate there, how much we can use will stand out for itself. But this is now, not then." I was taught to relax, completely, to let the technique flow and how to iron out my Karatedo to resemble that of Shukokai; my Sensei showed great respect to my previous teachers. I am a more complete Karateka today than ever, thanks to the perception and understanding of Sensei Eric Williams and Dragon Martial Arts.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Also, can anyone explain to me how can I (with nil knowledge about Karate) train with other guys who have been training for long time and more experienced than me?

That's not your problem, nor is it the seniors problem. It's their duty, out of courtesy to you and respect to the seniors, who taught them when they were beginners. I look at it as repaying a debt, they are in debt to the Dojo, Sensei and Senpai, for taking them as beginners and being involved in the creation of them as seniors (senpai). This dept you will owe them and repay it when you become a Senpai and help a new student.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.