• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Books on sparring?

Karate_John

Hey Guys,

Anyone know of any good books (or videos) on sparring theory? This is just for breadth outside my system. It's strictly for the knowledge as I'm interested to see what others think, plus my library can use more material :)

Goju Ryu - Shodan

My MA Blog: http://gojublog.com

Personal Blog: http://zenerth.tumblr.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I can say that everyone's take on sparring is different. The Body, the Mindset, the Connection between you and your Opponent. The only way to learn is to experience it. Practice safely and follow your own way.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Every style of sparring is a bit different based on what the goal is for the sparring. None of it is outright wrong, it's just situational and goal dependent. I see you're talking about seeing what people do outside your system, so I'll offer the following couple of suggestions. By the way, I applaud your desire to see what others are thinking.

There are a couple of JKD based sparring books out there. JKD Kickboxing is a bit dated, but has some interesting thoughts about engaging with JKD concepts at range. If memory serves, The JKD/Jun Fan Textbook also has some sparring drill material in it.

On an entirely different vein, BJ Penn's Striking for MMA book has some excellent drills that could easily be adapted to drill work.

I'm sure there are several others, but these jump to mind. As always, Harkon is correct, the only way to experience it is to try it. So, no matter what you come up with, play with integrating it into your game.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I agree with what the guy's have said re experiencing it first hand.

But if you want a couple of books regarding the theory behind it, I found these to be good:

Winning Karate by Ticky Donovan

The Winning Edge: The Essence of Freestyle Karate by Alfie & Peter Lewis

Plus, imo, the books and DVD's by Iain Abernethy are great.

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

I can say that everyone's take on sparring is different. The Body, the Mindset, the Connection between you and your Opponent. The only way to learn is to experience it. Practice safely and follow your own way.

I would have to whole heartedly agree with this. Learning about any physical activity by reading is difficult. My favorite analogy is swimming.

Let's say that I could not swim at all.

If I read a book...can I now swim? If I read a book AND watch swimming on tv...can I now swim?

No. I have to get in the pool. The more time in the pool? The stronger at swimming I will become. AFTER I am a STRONG swimmer...then and only then will a book from a GREAT swimmer even make a lick of sense.

I would have to whole heartedly agree with this. Learning about any physical activity by reading is difficult. My favorite analogy is swimming.

Let's say that I could not swim at all.

If I read a book...can I now swim? If I read a book AND watch swimming on tv...can I now swim?

No. I have to get in the pool. The more time in the pool? The stronger at swimming I will become. AFTER I am a STRONG swimmer...then and only then will a book from a GREAT swimmer even make a lick of sense.

Solid post!!

While there are a plethora of books that address the subject of sparring, I'd caution said practitioner to back up and/or support what one learns in a MA school under the supervision of a qualified instructor.

I've read, and still have many said books, but I only read said books to get me to understand how other styles and/or noted practitioners addressed the subject of sparring. However, I never replaced what my Dai-Soke was teaching me; I only just supplemented his teaching with what I absorbed from the context of said books.

It's like cross-training/exchanges, they don't replace our instructors teachings, but they add a different dimension to what we've already learnt and/or are currently learning.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thanks everyone for your insight's. I would have to say I whole hearty agree that In no way would I ever dream to replace what my Shihan teaches me. there is too many years worth of experience he has to offer, and nothing beats first hand experience and practice.

@tallgeese & wagnerk Thanks, I'll check them out.

Goju Ryu - Shodan

My MA Blog: http://gojublog.com

Personal Blog: http://zenerth.tumblr.com