• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well this is going to be interesting

This Saturday, I have to run a junior grading for all our kyu grades (up to purple belt) on my own. As my Sensei and his 2IC (who is a 2nd Dan) are away and that means I am left in charge of the grading. Even though this is my first time taking a junior grading (obviously i was a junior in those gradings years ago, but never was an instructor for one)

I get my sensei trusts me enough to do it (considering i am a Nidan) but it is weird to think that he trusts me more to run his school all day.

I have 2 Shodan's and 3 Shodan-Ho's helping with the grading which i am grateful for!

Any words of wisdom for me?

Before the Grading i have 3 classes to run (yay?) before the grading, the grading itself which runs for 2 hours (when really it always goes overtime), then 2 adults classes.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just go out there and do your thing. You know what is right and wrong, good or bad, what needs fixed and what doesn't. You are probably also acquainted with each of the junior grades, their skill levels and abilities, etc. Just have faith in yourself, and you are going to be just fine.

Have fun, and enjoy this next step in the MA journey! :)

Just go out there and do your thing. You know what is right and wrong, good or bad, what needs fixed and what doesn't. You are probably also acquainted with each of the junior grades, their skill levels and abilities, etc. Just have faith in yourself, and you are going to be just fine.

This.

I remember the first time I sat on a testing board (much more ran one) and I remember how nervous I was (both with being on the board and being in charge). It's surprising how easy it will come. Just relax and do what you do.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

This.

I remember the first time I sat on a testing board (much more ran one) and I remember how nervous I was (both with being on the board and being in charge). It's surprising how easy it will come. Just relax and do what you do.

Agreed... :) What they said...

Good posts, bushido_man and Zaine...

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

This.

Agreed... :) What they said...

Good posts, bushido_man and Zaine...

:karate:

Ditto!!

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!

The annoying thing is that i've have only taught the junior classes a handful of times. so i am not really all that acquainted with the students there.

But those times i have taught them they know how tight (instead of using a word associated with our butts and could have had this post removed) i am about doing things.

I'll let everyone know how it goes and how many students were there.

the biggest grading i've helped out at was 16 students and that was an adults grading

The annoying thing is that i've have only taught the junior classes a handful of times. so i am not really all that acquainted with the students there.

But those times i have taught them they know how tight (instead of using a word associated with our butts and could have had this post removed) i am about doing things.

the biggest grading i've helped out at was 16 students and that was an adults grading

If they know you're expectations they will fall in line if they want to progress. If they are disrespectful then it wasn't their time to move up. The important thing, though, is that they know what you expect.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

In time, they will get to know you and vice versa, and they'll learn to respect you in a different light.

You'll do just fine!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Look at it this way: They are the ones testing, so let them be nervous! :P

I remember when I used to floor judge for testings at first. I would get nervous. But eventually, I just thought to myself, "this isn't much different than leading a class, and they are the one's testing, not me." So, I don't get nervous for it anymore. I just do my thing, and let them be nervous. After all, its their testing, and its about them, and not me. :)

Hope that helps.

So the grading went well on Saturday. we had 35 kids turn up for the grading. we had students ranging from white belt up to blue belt.

Unfortunately i had to fail several students because they weren't up to scratch. Usually we only fail students either for poor attitude during the grading or receive too many 'G's (read below) they will fail (or both).

At my school if we see that they are weak at something with give them +6 lessons (commonly nicknamed a 'G' for Grading Error) at that area to work on. So when they are meant to be tested on that particular area they have to wait 6 lessons before they are eligible for it. So for Basics which is the first test to get a 'tag' on the belt if they get a 'G' on that, instead of being tested for it on lesson 6 they get it on lesson 12.

All of us instructors jumped in for the sparrring except for 1 black belt each round (so they can watch everyone and to start/stop the round). We all pushed every single student who had to do sparring hard to see how they cope fighting a strong opponent.

We were nice to the lower ranked students so we didn't spar them. But for the green belts and above we did spar them. We were shocked to see that our only blue belt who was grading (they were going for their brown belt) was getting dominated by lower ranked students when it should have been vice-versa. the only people they should have struggled against was the black belts.

out of the 35 students; 18 of them received 'G's one or multiple areas.

otherwise it went smoothly