Testing for 4th dan this weekend

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, everyone, for all the luck and well-wishes. It fealt good to have so much support in mind when I was performing!

Testing actually consists of two days, one night which is a pre-test, and then testing the following day. I also had to write an essay, which I had to read aloud on the day of testing. That will appear as an article here on KF in the future. :)

On Friday night, we had class from 6:30 - 7:45 pm. This class consisted of a warmup of Do-Kangs 1-4, which are referred to as our "black belt basics," which are required to do prior to testing. Next were forms, doing Jung Gun, Toi Gye, Hwa Rang, Choong Moo, Kwang Gae, Poe Eun, Gae Baek, Se Jong, and Yoo Sin for me. Next, we did one-steps, but we only did them for a short while, and I got almost through the orange belt ones. After one-steps, Grandmaster Yi asked to see hands for who was testing, and I raised mine, along with 4 or 5 other black belts that would be testing. So, I had to Do-Kangs 3 and 4 again, followed by Yoo Sin, again. Then came one bout of sparring, and class was over. There were a few comments on some of the forms that I made sure to take heed, as I think he was referring to me....so I noted it for testing the next day.

On Saturday morning, starting at 10:30 am, was testing. I did Se Jong and Yoo Sin for forms, then all the one-steps, straight through. I was pretty tired after that, and my the muscles in my upper legs and hips were burning. Next came a bout of sparring, which I did with a 4th dan, and then board breaks.

Board breaks consisted of a back leg round kick, and jumping front snap kick, a spin heel kick, and a flying side kick over 3 kids bent over. All the breaks went great, except for the spin heel kick, which I just had trouble with for some reason. I felt like I was kicking hard, and my heels sure did feel like it, too. But I bounced several times, until I finally got it on my 4th attempt. I was really frustrated with myself for this, and I kicked a guys finger while he was holding the boards, which really made me feel crappy.

Other than that, I thought the testing went well, and I fealt really good about my performance, other than that bad break. I do have a few videos my wife took at the testing:

Here was my sparring match. Not too much to write home about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD7WSCcX3SE

Here are three of the board breaks, even the one I botched terribly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wYR-mMZxU8

My wife forgot to video the flying side kick, but I got that one on the first try.

Thanks again for all the support; you guys are the best! :karate: I will keep you all posted as to the results. I should find out towards the middle of this week. All my preliminary inquiries lead me to believe I did pass, but will confirm soon!

Still, from what you've posted, I think that you'll be fine when the final grade is reached. Yeah, you stuggled on some of the breaks, but big deal, no one ever gets a 100% on any testing cycle. So, relax, be cool, train hard and rock and roll!!

And yes, I said ouch myself when I saw you hit his finger, but that too happens all of the time. We don't want it to, but it does.

Here's a early CONGRATS!! I believe you'll pass!! 4th Dan...feels great, huh!?!?!

:bowofrespect:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Whatever the outcome, IMHO you certainly deserve your 4th dan Brian. :up:

Looked like good breaking to me.. If anything I think your board holders were holding a little loose.

It is interesting to see what you had to do... I'm testing for mine in Feb so will be interesting to see how the criteria differs across organisations.

Good luck for the result!

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Looked like good breaking to me.. If anything I think your board holders were holding a little loose.

It is interesting to see what you had to do... I'm testing for mine in Feb so will be interesting to see how the criteria differs across organisations.

You too Danielle, are worthy of your 4th Dan when you test!! Good luck in Feb!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

You too Danielle, are worthy of your 4th Dan when you test!! Good luck in Feb!!

Yes, good luck! And please do let us know what you did for the testing. I'm interested in knowing what we do differently.

Excellent work there Brian :)

Thank you! :)