• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WMA

I recently have ventured into the world of WMA! It is supremely interesting to see the contrast between east and west. Why did EMA focus on this where WMA focus on that? I have found that it is starkly different (when it comes down to it, the reason this or that technique is found here and not there comes down to history and the environment). Lineage exists just as in EMA to the masters (or originators) of the system.

Currently I am taking a system from Fiore Dei Liberi, an Italian fencing master. It utilizes the longsword, poleaxe, spear, sword and buckler and rapier (I'm sure I'm forgetting something). It does have an unarmed aspect but it focuses mainly on weapons. It's a lot of fun. If you want more information scholasaintgeorge.com.

Anybody else have experience with WMA?

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I used to be a member of the Sealed Knot; 17th Century ECW re-enactment. Did some rapier work, sword and dagger and staff work. I got to shoot a musket too, great fun.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I don't have any personal experience with it, but I find it interesting and have done some research on the techniques that are generally taught. Apparently, a lot of the work of reconstructing those WMA styles was done by people with EMA experience, using that to build on the written manuals that still exist. I found that to be particularly interesting.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I don't know if the founder of the Schola has EMA experience, just that he was (and is?) a member of the SCA and his interest in WMA was sparked from there causing him to take interest in medieval manuscripts.

Western Martial Arts, Eastern Martial Arts; and I also don't know what SCA stands for :-?

Society for Creative Anachronism. They have some really fantastic armorers involved with them, and a lot of there events look like a ton of fun. From what I gather most of the fighting done in the SCA is largely either from people with EMA experience or people with no training that have no formal training and just did lots of research and sparring. There are definitely some fencers involved, though, and that helps bring in some traditional WMA rapier techniques.

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

I fought in the SCA in college. A bit after as well. From my experience with the groups I was part of Wastelander is right on target. There's a few EMA (I like that acronym :) ) and a larger portion of reserch types.

It often gets lit up for not being authentic. That might very well be a legitimate criticism, I don't have enough of a background in WMA :) to argue intelligently one way or the other.

It is; however, a ton of fun as a full contact sport.

Society for Creative Anachronism. They have some really fantastic armorers involved with them, and a lot of there events look like a ton of fun. From what I gather most of the fighting done in the SCA is largely either from people with EMA experience or people with no training that have no formal training and just did lots of research and sparring. There are definitely some fencers involved, though, and that helps bring in some traditional WMA rapier techniques.

I hear that a lot as well. Mostly it's a lot of enthusiasts who just love that period of time. You see a lot of scholars and people who just like to swing faux swords at each other (for good reason, it's a lot of fun). You have a a handful of EMA people and fewer WMA but from all reports it's a great time.

I hear that a lot as well. Mostly it's a lot of enthusiasts who just love that period of time. You see a lot of scholars and people who just like to swing faux swords at each other (for good reason, it's a lot of fun). You have a a handful of EMA people and fewer WMA but from all reports it's a great time.

I've heard it's an absolute blast! As an amateur leatherworker and bladesmith, I've been involved with some SCA people a bit and done a little research. Heck, I even considered building my own 15th C Japanese kit and participating in the local SCA group :P.