• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New to forums, new to Karate

TheNx

Hello everyone, I'm new to martial arts and this board. I did karate like 20 years ago when I was very young, don't remember much lol. I got back into it this year and I just earned a yellow belt last week. The style is Okinawan Karate, ryu-te, oyata shin shu ho ryu.

I have always had an interest in martial arts, but just never committed. Finally my wife encouraged me to do it. I really enjoy it, for he discipline, challenge and workout.

What other supplemental exercises do you do with karate? I'm really trying to get back into shape.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to Karatedo. I study Shukokai Karate, I practice Kobudo, Qi Gong and Yoga. I also go to the gym for cardio and strength training twice a week.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Welcome to the forum, and to karate! Oyata Sensei's system has a lot of good, interesting stuff in it--stick with it!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Welcome :) I like to jog and lift weights to supplement my training as well as yoga from time to time.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

Oh, I completely missed the question about supplementary exercise! I highly recommend researching hojo undo (Japanese for "supplementary exercise") to find out more about it--there are some excellent books and videos out there on this. Any material from Garry Lever Sensei or Mike Clarke Sensei would be solid.

In addition to traditional hojo undo, I work the battle ropes and follow a strength training program (Stronglifts 5x5), with a few extras thrown in. Kettlebell clinch pull-ups are my newest fun addition that I found online.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Hi and welcome - I also use a gym to work on cardio and strength, I do all round weights, plenty of sit-ups, push-ups or similar.

Don't rush and hurt yourself, just work with your body gradually to build up speed and power.

Welcome to the forum my friend and welcome back to the love of the Martial Arts!

And in terms of additional training it really depends on your current physical health. Usually Yoga or Pilates are normally very good to do. Whilst normal training you would want to do cardio and strength training

Welcome to KF!!

Swimming, running, jogging, rowing, circuits, and on and on. Point is that anything that benefits ones MA betterment should be experienced across the board. Many karateka's only do kata to supplement training, and I can see their point, however, and while kata can provide an excellent work-out, other things must challenge ones core.

I hope you find the supplement that does increase your MA betterment.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Welcome to KF and back to Martial Arts!

For supplement I do a lot of cardio (especially riding a bike, it's my favorite). I also mix in some strength training and swimming. Swimming does amazing things for your body and it's a lot of fun.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/