• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cost question

rthompson

Goju-kai is basically an off-shoot of goju-ryu. From memory (don't qoute me me on this) it was gogen yamaguchi who created that organisation. Or it might have been another Yamaguchi

Here is how I understand it, also from the top of my head. Yamaguchi was given permission to teach and empowered by Miyagi to spreed Goju in main-land japan, and ultimately around the world. Gogen Yamaguchi founded the International Karate-do Goju-Kai Association (IKGA) among others for this reason. His son Gosei Norimi Yamaguchi Founded the Goju-Kai Karate-Do, U.S.A organization. N. Gosei Yamaguchi is now the head of both. Goju-Kai is synonymous with Japanese Goju-ryu, while Goju-ryu is more synonymous with Okinawan Goju-Ryu.

@rthompson

In any case Goju-Kai is one of the largest Goju Ryu organisations and is very well respected in the US and Japan. It is just one of the many different branches of the same tree.

at least i am relatively close

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I have trained in a style called Adavisum for 3 years, a mix of goju kai karate and other arts. I have made Blue belt thus far. My teacher informed me that his master, a 9th degree in goju kai karate will come down and wants to flat out test his students for a blackbelt in goju kai karate. Charge is $150 for the test, is that Steep?

For all things considered...No, it's not steep, imho!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I have trained in a style called Adavisum for 3 years, a mix of goju kai karate and other arts. I have made Blue belt thus far. My teacher informed me that his master, a 9th degree in goju kai karate will come down and wants to flat out test his students for a blackbelt in goju kai karate. Charge is $150 for the test, is that Steep?

I guess it's subjective. I was lucky enough to have a free class for much of my training and when I did have a school that I paid for there were no testing fees. To my eyes it seems like a lot (just had a baby as well so maybe that factors for me). That being said, when I do see the numbers for testing fees $150 seems to be the mid range for tests that involve "tenured" masters and a lot of people tell me (never experienced personally) that having someone that high on your testing board is awesome.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/