• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Spectators at gradings

Most are fine and keep it respectful - or they are just bored stupid...

My girlfriend who attended my last grading was bored stupid as it went for 5-6 hours. But she persisted in staying there and watching me. And giving support when i needed it.

At any point if she was getting bored (i told her at the start) that she could sneak off an watch the basketball opposite (my basketball association plays opposite my dojo) for a little bit or you are free to head off and do something for a couple of hours. But she stayed the entire time.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Presuming you conduct gradings separate from a class environment, should they be open to spectators? Friends and family? Just other martial artists? Or anyone?

Yes!! Unless they've got something to hide! However, keep them roped off so that they DO NOT DISTURB the testing cycle in any shape, way, and/or form.

:)

I agree here. We allow anyone to watch our testings. Usually, its just the parents or family that shows up, but I think having it open to the public is great for advertising the school. Let the public see what we do, and let them decide if they want it to be something they would like to do.

If a student fails...and it happens a lot. I don't explain anything to the parent/friend/whomever, I only speak with the student. Watch, but stay out of the testing cycle all together!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

If a student fails...and it happens a lot. I don't explain anything to the parent/friend/whomever, I only speak with the student. Watch, but stay out of the testing cycle all together!!

It would be nice if it worked like this all the time, but it doesn't always. Sometimes, the parents will come and ask, as is their right, when things concern their children.

If a parent would have questions for me, I wouldn't have a problem with answering them. After all, if their children are in the class, then the parent really is the consumer. So, its important that they be informed if and when they ask. I won't allow them to sway my decision, but I wouldn't have an issue with explaining my decisions with them.

It would be nice if it worked like this all the time, but it doesn't always. Sometimes, the parents will come and ask, as is their right, when things concern their children.

If a parent would have questions for me, I wouldn't have a problem with answering them. After all, if their children are in the class, then the parent really is the consumer. So, its important that they be informed if and when they ask. I won't allow them to sway my decision, but I wouldn't have an issue with explaining my decisions with them.

I agree...Asking is one thing, but questioning my final decision isn't!! If I'm trusted to teach them, then I should be trusted to grade them as well!! Private counsels are to help them, both parents as well as students, and I will help them so that they know what has to be worked/improved on, but new parents and the like seem to think that they can judge my judgement and this isn't going to happen; not in my dojo/Hombu!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

hhm......its been hinted at that I need to 'up' my focus/attention in the dojo.

Why?

There is a senior grade grading coming (June) and the hint is to start preparing for it.

(one of the guys 'challenged me' to grade with him which added to the weight of the hints form Shihan!)

Not part of my plan just now.......but after being tested last night from 10th to 1st kyu kihon and kata....seems I recall more than I realized I could.

Wanted to work on fitness and stamina more than anything this coming year!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

I agree...Asking is one thing, but questioning my final decision isn't!! If I'm trusted to teach them, then I should be trusted to grade them as well!! Private counsels are to help them, both parents as well as students, and I will help them so that they know what has to be worked/improved on, but new parents and the like seem to think that they can judge my judgement and this isn't going to happen; not in my dojo/Hombu!!

I agree. Hopefully, parents will realize that they really aren't within their domain when they come to us as teachers, but at times, they are blinded, because of their natural bias for their children. Its just another opportunity for us to share our knowledge, and let them know that we made our decision because we really do care.

I think we are seeing eye-to-eye on this one, Bob. :)

hhm......its been hinted at that I need to 'up' my focus/attention in the dojo.

Why?

There is a senior grade grading coming (June) and the hint is to start preparing for it.

(one of the guys 'challenged me' to grade with him which added to the weight of the hints form Shihan!)

Not part of my plan just now.......but after being tested last night from 10th to 1st kyu kihon and kata....seems I recall more than I realized I could.

Wanted to work on fitness and stamina more than anything this coming year!

That's great! I say go for it. If nothing else, it will gear you towards that preparation.

Bushido_man96 ..... an update!

I was given clear instruction to focus, the grading is set, I am on the list!

Now as a senior I don't expect or actually want (not in a negative way) spectators, it means nothing to me if they are or are not sitting watching.

To me its...well...simply...gotta be so SOOooo boring I'd feel bad for them sitting there!

I mean its not like a competition where something unexpected might happen over there on that mat or here in the ring.

Its all one step arm movement/leg movement.

one step new arm movement/leg movement.

....etc

Kids as I said I can see good and bad in having parents on the side lines.

Not being a shodan yet, (oh! Yeah that was mapped out for me as well, that's planned already for 2015!) to have people come up afterwards and ask why?

The geek in me wants to scream 'Do you have any idea what you just watched?

Have you any idea how many mistakes there were?'

The 'grown up' the student, recalls the alien world of the dojo and simply how amazing/awe inspiring/ it appeared.

How everyone was clearly one step away from perfection!

Then after a few weeks then months just how regular people made mistake after mistake after mistake, same people some times, same mistake sometimes over and over again.

As you stand in the line the little 'fidget' etc that draws your eye to that person...'what was just corrected? Why was it not done correctly the first time?...'

How hard everyone worked just to be as good as they were, where I was sure when I walked in a few weeks back they were not trying that hard at all and were just amazing!

Now nan or dad asks why? what happened?

That other kid over there was worse yet you passed them, why? why did little Tommy fail?

(an answer given if given well is going to ensure no insult etc is received, I get this, and it is not my concern here.)

My concern is the parent that demands what they perceive as justice no matter what the reasoning, or how bad...just want want want!

What then?

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

If a parent asks, answer them honestly. That's all an instructor can do. If the parent doesn't like it, then they have a choice to make. Is their child in it for belts, or to learn? That is one nice thing about Wrestling; no belts; you go practice, learn, then show it out on the mat.

Congrats on making the testing list! :karate: