• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Spectators at gradings

Presuming you conduct gradings separate from a class environment, should they be open to spectators? Friends and family? Just other martial artists? Or anyone?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Presuming you conduct gradings separate from a class environment, should they be open to spectators? Friends and family? Just other martial artists? Or anyone?

Yes!! Unless they've got something to hide! However, keep them roped off so that they DO NOT DISTURB the testing cycle in any shape, way, and/or form.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

We allow anyone to watch our gradings. And if we wanted to prevent anyone from watching them it would be too difficult due to our dojo being in such a public place.

Our dojo is in a multipurpose room at a recreation centre. so people could watch from outside if they wanted.

Fully open as we want all students to see what is required of them for their next belt or for Shodan. Parents can also see how good or bad they are so they understand the feedback. So long as they keep back and keep the noise down!

hmm...

When I was grading years ago I never put any thought into who was or wasn't around, as an adult member I was not bothered, but mostly never noticed to be honest!

As my son now does 'MA' I note we are allowed to 'spectate', which is great for him to see mum and dad in the crowd supporting him!

BUT, I see and hear other parents chatting about this or that kid being less than focused or overly aggressive etc etc, sometimes (and clearly so) loud enough to try and influence that child of the grading panel!

Now that’s wrong no matter who they or you think you are!

The only people that should or can makes such comments are on the panel, some of them will have better knowledge of the student ‘in that environment’ than mum or dad.

Should parents be allowed in?

After saying the above, actually I don’t mind or see it as a bad thing, more positive than negative imo.

The should be restrained/held away from the proceedings for sure, (space permitting) but more than what others should do, I see the need to have the panel do more!

The panel needs to get up and walk around view the students from all angles, pick up the good or bad as the grading progresses.

Get up look at the back row, walk between the lines (if the grading class is that large) make sure ‘everyone’ sees you and is aware you can see and hear them!

There is added pressure in being within feet of an examiner, true, but after a couple of grading’s that pressure is more ‘normal’, so why not walk around and become part of the process visually and directly!

It can only enhance the standards so why not ?

Edited by Hawkmoon

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

My wife has sat in my previous two gradings, I find it helps to have support but she finds it very uncomfortable to watch me suffer at times. As I said, the Dan grade test will only have the association Yudansha present.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Anyone can watch our Kyu gradings. Dan gradings are only for the eyes of other Dragon Martial Arts Dan grades.

That's basically how we do it. Though we have allowed the odd visitors by special request, only.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

Anyone is allowed to spectate at our regional gradings. Everyone is always very quiet, polite and attentive. When I went to master camp this summer the grading for dan levels was theoretically closed. However, the dojo has a roof but no walls, therefore it wasn't too hard to watch if you really wanted to sit out in the rain and do so (and a fair number of people did). :lol: