• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you guys use Vine? Vine of my son...

He did it. Didn't even come close to landing. Kids basically were running in reverse as fast as they could. Granted you could not run backwards that far in a tourney...but you can in the dojo. Zach was getting flummoxed so he drove a sidekick into a kid's gut when he was pinned on a wall. Instructor of that class did not like that.

Will have to see if a side into a spin straight back kick gets him a bit more reach.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He cannot kick through a CEntury Bob head. Bob does not react as a human would. You can knock a human over by their head, you can get the head itself to move on it's own or with a lot of help from your foot. Similarly the body too will aid in that object moving. Bob is more resistant by a factor of a gazillion. (that may or may not be a guesstimate) EDIT: I did look at that spin kick tutorial and THAT man could move Bob's head...my son is not strong enough to do the same at this point.

Follow through on a head kick on Bob usually has one of two results, you falling down or Bob falling down. Either one is annoying.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

The contact should be made with the heel - always, unless you are playing tag for points.

That is not necessarily true as my style of TKD teaches that contact can be made with the flat of the foot to the head for a slapping effect (much in the same way as an open palm attack) but also that contact with the ball of the foot is also permissible. Of course the heel will do significantly more damage but in a case where you want 2 or 3 inches of extra reach, perhaps in a tournament scenario, then the flat or the ball is better.

AdamKralic, it was a good kick. :up:

But to improve (as everyone has room for some) I would echo bushido_man96's advice. Zach needs a better recovery. Personally I wouldn't say he has to kick through the target but certainly retrieving the leg under control a resetting to a prepared state is crucial. It's just as important as executing the kick itself. Good fighters not only kick well they ready to go again afterwards.

Kwonkicker's videos are excellent but I would also highly recommend GingerNinjaTrickster's also:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Yes, this is a difference between Karatedo and Sport Karate or TKD. If we use this kick in competition it would be very difficult to control, I don't fancy a heel in the chest at any speed. I have seen TKD players use body armor in competition, is the heel kick safe to use then? The target can be the head as a powerful kick to the body making contact with the heel can result in a hyper-extended knee. The other main target for the spinning heel kick in Okinawan Karate is the thigh; I've seen people poleaxed by it. I used to use the hook kick or Ura Mwashi Geri in competition semi-contact; but in my present style a touch with the toe on the head just wouldn't score. In Kumite, to score a kick must stop your opponent in his tracks, a punch must break his Ki at least.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Yes, this is a difference between Karatedo and Sport Karate or TKD. If we use this kick in competition it would be very difficult to control, I don't fancy a heel in the chest at any speed. I have seen TKD players use body armor in competition, is the heel kick safe to use then? The target can be the head as a powerful kick to the body making contact with the heel can result in a hyper-extended knee. The other main target for the spinning heel kick in Okinawan Karate is the thigh; I've seen people poleaxed by it. I used to use the hook kick or Ura Mwashi Geri in competition semi-contact; but in my present style a touch with the toe on the head just wouldn't score. In Kumite, to score a kick must stop your opponent in his tracks, a punch must break his Ki at least.

WTF and related styles wear the chest protectors, the rest tend to stick with dipped foam gear or nothing. Often just a touch (in adult divisions) would also not score. WTF competitions require a "trembling shock" blow i.e. enough power to stop the opponent and in ITF semi- and full- contact a reasonable amount of force must also be delivered. I often use this kick in competition and have cracked ribs with it a couple of times. I'd also say it is probably the kick that most often results in a KO when it connects with someone's head.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I agree, I can see that a full power Spinning heel kick to the Head or even a Back Kick to the Body could kill someone. In Kumite, kicks to the head are rare; contact with feet to the head must have some control and if a spinning kick is controlled, then it becomes a different kick altogether. We wear dipped foam head guards, but this is not just to prevent injuries from punches, strikes and kicks but to give you a chance if your head hit the floor in a take down or sweep. Safety in Martial Arts has been debated from when it was the intent to kill in each fight to the touch only scoring systems of modern players. Our club lies to the sane side of the middle. For me at my age I wouldn't enjoy Knockdown Karate or Muay Thai. I don't either enjoy the tappy tappy no contact sparring. I have great respect for Traditional Jui Kumite where there is no contact but Ki is broken by sheer focus and timing. At the moment, wearing protection lets me feel my opponent's technique safely. I have a great respect for full contact fighters, they are brave in my view; but for me, Karate is an Art not a conduit for Thuggery.

Look to the far mountain and see all.