• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A realistic MA film

Was thinking today that the typical feel-good MA film story line has a bit in the middle of less than 10 minutes where the hero goes off and trains hard - paint the fence, wax on, sand off etc - then they are suddenly an expert super fast and super strong MAist with amazing skills.

Similar to the Rocky films where the hero trains hard for 10 minutes of the film to represent hours, weeks or months of hard training.

I think a more realistic film should last for 15+ hours, 20 minutes on the first bit where the kid gets sand kicked in their face and punched by the bully, 20 minutes at the end where they win the tournament even with a broken limb.

The rest of the film should be made up of regular daily hard training to symbolise the effort needed to get anywhere in the MA world unless you are at a micky mouse club that gives out belts like sweets.

I'm getting tired of the students that first ask how long until they can get their Black Belt, turn up occasionally for training then come twice a week near a grading, get annoyed when you say they aren't ready to grade and generally don't put any real effort into it.

Guess who's having a grading soon... rant off

Trying to get everyone up to speed is tricky as you just can't catch them all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

And now I want to go back and watch the original karate kid to figure out the time between the beating he took at the dance and the all valley open. Then try to conceive of the kind of advancement you would make with daily privates with a very good instructor. Then calculate the liability cost of hosting a tournament without protective gear for minors.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

And now I want to go back and watch the original karate kid to figure out the time between the beating he took at the dance and the all valley open. Then try to conceive of the kind of advancement you would make with daily privates with a very good instructor. Then calculate the liability cost of hosting a tournament without protective gear for minors.

:lol: Funny because it's true.... With the sue-happy society we live in, I'm not sure a tournament like that could be pulled off anymore...

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

I think this is just typically behavior. Especially younger students, they want to test and achieve those awards. Over time, you figure out who really wants it, and who will really put the time and effort in, and the rest will fade away. I think its the same with any athletic endeavor.

As for the "realistic" MA movie you have proposed, I wouldn't go watch it. I want to be entertained at the movies. That's what made Rocky so good. If the real thing were so much fun to watch, I'd watch a lot more documentaries.

Yes, I loved the Rocky films; especially Rocky IV, the training is 90% of the film, the fight is only the result of hard work. I think they should have made it the last film though.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Was thinking today that the typical feel-good MA film story line has a bit in the middle of less than 10 minutes where the hero goes off and trains hard - paint the fence, wax on, sand off etc - then they are suddenly an expert super fast and super strong MAist with amazing skills.

Similar to the Rocky films where the hero trains hard for 10 minutes of the film to represent hours, weeks or months of hard training.

I think a more realistic film should last for 15+ hours, 20 minutes on the first bit where the kid gets sand kicked in their face and punched by the bully, 20 minutes at the end where they win the tournament even with a broken limb.

The rest of the film should be made up of regular daily hard training to symbolise the effort needed to get anywhere in the MA world unless you are at a micky mouse club that gives out belts like sweets.

I'm getting tired of the students that first ask how long until they can get their Black Belt, turn up occasionally for training then come twice a week near a grading, get annoyed when you say they aren't ready to grade and generally don't put any real effort into it.

Guess who's having a grading soon... rant off

Trying to get everyone up to speed is tricky as you just can't catch them all.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...

remember that was the 80's. Privates go a long way, but probably not that long.

Master the basics!!!