• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sparring stances... to bounce or to not bounce

student_karateka

Bouncing can be a good thing. However, overly excessive bouncing JUST TO bounce isn't a good thing, imho. Why? I will catch you at the moment when you're not grounded. I'll blitz you, I'll drive you, and I'll take you to the ground, if need be. Shindokan's Tuite utilizes many throws off the bounce.

Yes, I know, Bruce bounced during his fight scene with Chuck in "Way of the Dragon". It worked because he broke Chuck's rhythum, alas, he attacked OFF the bounce...SOLID!!

There's controlled bounce and then there's Tiger bouncing...You know, Winnie the Pooh's Tiger!!

Imho!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's T-I-DoubleG-ER. And the most wonderful thing about tiggers is that he's the only one!

Sorry, it's not usually my way to correct spelling, but I'm a Milne fanboy.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Bouncing can cause an issue, because your opponent might have excellent skills with foot sweeps and take-downs. So if your bouncing at the same rate for the entire fight they will notice it and time said takedown or sweep to either get you down on the ground and score or mount an offensive attack when your going 'up'

thats why most who do kumite and if they bounce; they vary the rate of the bounce and height to throw their opponent off. But some of them won't bounce as they want more stability

That's T-I-DoubleG-ER. And the most wonderful thing about tiggers is that he's the only one!

So, if I bounce like Tigger when sparring, as long as my Kiai's come out "Hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hooooooo!", I should be OK right? :D

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Late to the show here. I LOVE sparring with guys that bounce, I have a very fast Ashi Barra and about 99% of the time can plan them on their back sides. I note that most people that bounce excessivly do sport style Karate or focus on sports...or train with someone that does.

Even monkeys fall from trees

So, if I bounce like Tigger when sparring, as long as my Kiai's come out "Hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hooooooo!", I should be OK right? :D

When Tigger bounces people (or bears or rabbits or whatever), he does so out of a low and rooted but mobile stance. Which is in my opinion very combatively effective.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

When Tigger bounces people (or bears or rabbits or whatever), he does so out of a low and rooted but mobile stance. Which is in my opinion very combatively effective.

I had a humorous image pop up in my head when I read your's and Bob's Tigger comparisons, but I'm not a good jokester like you and others. :) I wasn't trying to bounce you or Bob's opinions on that... :karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

ROFL

:rofl:

Late to the show here. I LOVE sparring with guys that bounce, I have a very fast Ashi Barra and about 99% of the time can plan them on their back sides. I note that most people that bounce excessivly do sport style Karate or focus on sports...or train with someone that does.

I too love those who bounce while sparring because, to me, they're wide open, well, that's how I see it.

:)