• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Answer These Questions!

I would have thought there would have been a couple of schools there. Especially since it is considered (As far as i know) one of the 4 "traditional" main styles of karate.

Where i live we have at least 3-4 schools of each style throughout Victoria (1 state alone of Australia). As most schools we have here have more than one dojo available.

My old school had 4 dojo's throughout melbourne - Kew, Ashburton (Hombu), Mill Park and Moorabin.

Where I am now (new school) just has one in Balwyn.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you consider that we have such a small population, I think we are quite well off Martial Arts wise. I have not counted the numerous boxing clubs, fencing clubs and Medieval Swordsmanship clubs here abouts. The local Travelling Families practice bare knuckle fighting and Celtic Wrestling too.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Great interviews lowereastside and Nidan Melbourne!!

Thank you for all that you do to contribute to KF and its members across the board. Both knowledgeable in the MA, in that, both passionate about thier art!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

If you consider that we have such a small population, I think we are quite well off Martial Arts wise. I have not counted the numerous boxing clubs, fencing clubs and Medieval Swordsmanship clubs here abouts. The local Travelling Families practice bare knuckle fighting and Celtic Wrestling too.

I'd say you are quite rich, indeed, especially the Western styles, in weapons and the bare knuckle, and the Celtic Wrestling. Those would be fun to work with.

Nidan Melbourne, thanks for sharing your interview with us! May your MA journey be long and prosperous! :karate:

Great interviews lowereastside and Nidan Melbourne!!

Thank you for all that you do to contribute to KF and its members across the board. Both knowledgeable in the MA, in that, both passionate about thier art!!

:)

Thanks sensei8 :) what kind words!

I love martial arts. I don't know what i'd do without it!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
[b]1. Where are you from?[/b]

Kentucky

[b]2. Why did you get started in the martial arts?[/b]

I met an instructor who showed me the martial arts and I fell in love with it and have been training ever since. 

[b]3. Please briefly describe the styles of martial arts that you have taken and your ranks in them.[/b]

Matsumura Shorin Ryu - Godan, Goju Ryu - Yonkyu, Isshin Ryu - Gokyu, Okinawan Kenpo - Nidan, Kobudo - Sandan, Judo - Yonkyu, Matsubayashi Shorin ryu - Gokyu, Iaido - Nidan. 

[b]4. Do you remember how you found KarateForums.com? Why did you join? And why did you stay?[/b]

Looking for a place that had like minded people outside of my dojo. Lurked around and liked what I was reading. I enjoy hearing others opinions and the vast knowledge that can be found hear.

[b]5. What does KarateForums.com mean to you?[/b]

A chance to learn from others and share my experience with others. 

[b]6. Can you share a memorable moment within the community where you received great advice or an experience that really affected you and your martial arts journey?[/b]

I guess that would be early in my journey my Sensei(s) taught me that anything can be overcome with hard work and detirmination.

Devil Dog

Godan

Shorin ryu, goju ryu, isshin ryu, kobudo.

[b]1. Where are you from?[/b]

Kentucky

[b]2. Why did you get started in the martial arts?[/b]

I met an instructor who showed me the martial arts and I fell in love with it and have been training ever since. 

[b]3. Please briefly describe the styles of martial arts that you have taken and your ranks in them.[/b]

Matsumura Shorin Ryu - Godan, Goju Ryu - Yonkyu, Isshin Ryu - Gokyu, Okinawan Kenpo - Nidan, Kobudo - Sandan, Judo - Yonkyu, Matsubayashi Shorin ryu - Gokyu, Iaido - Nidan. 

[b]4. Do you remember how you found KarateForums.com? Why did you join? And why did you stay?[/b]

Looking for a place that had like minded people outside of my dojo. Lurked around and liked what I was reading. I enjoy hearing others opinions and the vast knowledge that can be found hear.

[b]5. What does KarateForums.com mean to you?[/b]

A chance to learn from others and share my experience with others. 

[b]6. Can you share a memorable moment within the community where you received great advice or an experience that really affected you and your martial arts journey?[/b]

I guess that would be early in my journey my Sensei(s) taught me that anything can be overcome with hard work and detirmination.

Nice :) Are you still a practitioner of Matsubayashi Ryu?

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

1. Where are you from?

Ontario, Canada

2. Why did you get started in the martial arts?

I am new to karate. I only just started a few months ago, as a Mom in my mid-30s. We put our young son into karate first. I really liked what I saw at the dojo. It is a very supporting, encouraging environment, and there is a lot of variety in what is done in class. I have always wanted to try karate, and the dojo does offer adult classes for beginners, so I joined!

3. Please briefly describe the styles of martial arts that you have taken and your ranks in them.

Just karate. This is my first time in any martial arts. I am a white belt, but will be grading at the end of February. Our dojo's style of karate is shotokan.

4. Do you remember how you found KarateForums.com? Why did you join? And why did you stay?

I enjoy discussion forums to do with my hobbies, so I searched for one to do with karate. I found this one, and lurked for a while. I liked what I saw, and decided to join in on the discussions.

5. What does KarateForums.com mean to you?

It is a great place to discuss the martial arts with new people who share this interest. It also seems to be very a positive environment, and I have learned a lot here too.

6. Can you share a memorable moment within the community where you received great advice or an experience that really affected you and your martial arts journey?

There was a discussion on sparring that really hit home for me. I haven't started sparring yet, and it is the only aspect of training that has been intimidating me a lot, and that I'm not sure I'll enjoy or be good at. I want to work hard and excel at my training. I have been looking forward to new kata, new movements, and learning new things in general, but I haven't been looking forward to sparring. However, the post I read put a new perspective on this. On the one hand it helped me realize that the higher belts will be supportive in helping me learn, not there to just 'beat me up', lol. It makes sense, as that is the general attitude I do find, so I should have thought of it that way already, but I hadn't. Plus, there was the point made that if I am too hesitant and worried I will develop bad habits, and I really don't want to do that. I'm not explaining it very well, but overall the post really did re-frame my idea of sparring, and I now look at it more like I look at the other aspects that will be new to me. I really appreciated that thread, and it was perfect timing for me.

Thanks for sharing this with us, Candian77. :) I hope you find lots of helpful information here. Don't fret the sparring too much. I was pretty apprehensive about it when I first started doing it, but its one of those things that you get comfortable with more and more the more you do it.