• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Secretly" Tested: Sandan

Thank you all for the congrats and support. :)

With the BJJ club I'm part of we don't do formal testing, so really each and every promotion is kind of a secret test of sorts.

Interesting... When the day comes that I run a dojo all by my lonesome, I often wonder if that's how I should regularly test students...

:-? How well does it work for you to test students that way? (I may post this question in it's own thread...)

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Where I go to, instructors do "secret" assessments all the time...we have a minimum of classes required for consideration to the next rank, but after that it's up to the instructor as to when a student is checked out for testing. It's then up to the BB checking out the student to determine if he/she is ready to test. Every now and then an instructor will bypass the check outs and just approve for testing based on what they see in class.

Beyond 1st Dan it's all up to the headmaster...there are class attendance and time guidelines which are mostly followed. Actually what happens occasionally is that a BB is invited to test and the person decides or has to back down for some reason.

Edit: Congrats to the OP. Remember, you were promoted because you already met the standards for the rank.

Where I go to, instructors do "secret" assessments all the time...we have a minimum of classes required for consideration to the next rank, but after that it's up to the instructor as to when a student is checked out for testing. It's then up to the BB checking out the student to determine if he/she is ready to test. Every now and then an instructor will bypass the check outs and just approve for testing based on what they see in class.

Beyond 1st Dan it's all up to the headmaster...there are class attendance and time guidelines which are mostly followed. Actually what happens occasionally is that a BB is invited to test and the person decides or has to back down for some reason.

Edit: Congrats to the OP. Remember, you were promoted because you already met the standards for the rank.

Yeah at my school we have class attendance and time guidelines which we follow quite rigorously. But after about green or purple they take a lot longer than others. as a minimum of time is 30 lessons (so 30 hours) but most students do a 'double' class but they are only credited for the single class. If they are say an orange belt and they did the double class from their first class of orange belt then they can be close to 60 hours of class time before a grading and still have 30 lessons.

For Dan Gradings we have a standard of the grading they are wanting to grade for + 6 months. So when i grade for my sandan it will be 3 & 1/2 years before i can.

For Dan Gradings we have a standard of the grading they are wanting to grade for + 6 months. So when i grade for my sandan it will be 3 & 1/2 years before i can.

That 3 1/2 years will be here before you know it... ;) I was a Nidan for almost 8 years; life happens, marriage, a family, job/career, etc. But, I never stopped practicing. After a near-death experience, it was a hard road for me to get back into shape; hence, why I didn't feel like I was physically ready for a formalized test. But, sometimes it takes other people observing me to give me a smack upside my head for me to realize I had come back...:lol:

Congrats to the OP. Remember, you were promoted because you already met the standards for the rank.

Thanks! :) Looking back at it, after talking with my instructors, you're right on the money there....they said almost the same words you posted...

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

With the BJJ club I'm part of we don't do formal testing, so really each and every promotion is kind of a secret test of sorts.

Interesting... When the day comes that I run a dojo all by my lonesome, I often wonder if that's how I should regularly test students...

:-? How well does it work for you to test students that way? (I may post this question in it's own thread...)

Both jits clubs I've trained at worked that way and it seems to work just fine. It's more of an ongoing assessment of skill by the instructor and time served In one way, I kind of like this, it's more of an indication of what you're capable of on any given day rather than after a fight camp.

The down side of this is that there is no "testing" of drive, ect. That said, in arts with a heavy sparring component that's kind of built in to a degree. A large part of jiu jitsu is "open mat" or "free roll" so I think it's less of a factor. You're always proving your technique against resistance.

Stripes on the belt tend to be less of an occasion and can be very informal. Actual belt promotions are at the end of class at least and upper ranks are usually at some sort of function (seminar for instance). However, other than "it's been about that time" you have no idea if you're up or not.

Congratulations, indeed! Well deserved!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Both jits clubs I've trained at worked that way and it seems to work just fine. It's more of an ongoing assessment of skill by the instructor and time served In one way, I kind of like this, it's more of an indication of what you're capable of on any given day rather than after a fight camp.

The down side of this is that there is no "testing" of drive, ect. That said, in arts with a heavy sparring component that's kind of built in to a degree. A large part of jiu jitsu is "open mat" or "free roll" so I think it's less of a factor. You're always proving your technique against resistance.

Stripes on the belt tend to be less of an occasion and can be very informal. Actual belt promotions are at the end of class at least and upper ranks are usually at some sort of function (seminar for instance). However, other than "it's been about that time" you have no idea if you're up or not.

:idea: Enlightening... Thanks for sharing that :) Once I have my lonesome dojo, I may try a combo of what you describe and formalized testing. Say, the testings that signify a year's worth of training for a student make into formal tests, and all others in-between the informal tests you describe.

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

Congrats!!! I believe that's the best way to assess after Shodan.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!