• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Secretly" Tested: Sandan

Back on October 12, 2013, my two instructors (CI and Te) promoted me to Sandan (3rd degree black belt)!

See, the two previous weeks, they tested me in "secret": they had me doing extra work/exercises on the side during class to "show the students how things should be done". They had me perform all my kata at various points, plus strength/conditioning exercises (pushups, burpees, slap-downs, etc), as well as pressure testing me with various full contact sparring/kumite drills involving multiple attackers and takedowns/locks/bars/grappling.

I must admit I had my suspicions that they were up to something, but my suspicions weren't confirmed until that Saturday evening when I was presented with my Sandan diploma. IMHO, they tested me in that manner because they knew I wasn't going to agree to test for a long while; they saw that my skill and development was ready for it, even if I couldn't! :)

Anyone else here ever been tested "in secret" or "secretly" tested a student of yours?

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First off - congratulations!!! Well deserved.

If you wait until you "think" you are ready then you will never be ready...

We have a few that panic during gradings, hopefully something that they will get over or grow out of. We assess them during normal lessons so if they lose it on the day we are happy that they can do it.

These are only mid level Kyu grades, we can't continue this routine as Purple/Brown belts also need to be seen doing a good job.

Someone asked why our Sandan did less work than I did when we graded (me going for Nidan), the Chief Instructor explained that Sandan was more about the MAist with less technical work needed, more about attitude and commitment.

Well done!

Nice work! Congrats!

With the BJJ club I'm part of we don't do formal testing, so really each and every promotion is kind of a secret test of sorts.

Nice work! Congrats!

With the BJJ club I'm part of we don't do formal testing, so really each and every promotion is kind of a secret test of sorts.

I like those kind of promotions in class. its the fact that every class you might be pumped about it.