• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyokushin.

It was the fist 'fighting' art that I trained in and has always been the art I return to.

No matter who or what ryu I visit or has visited the dojo, its Kyokushin always has been!

For me when I'm in the dojo its ..natural..its normal...its the way it should be!

Its like coming home after a hard day or something..... to then do more work and the rush I feel as I train a euphoric feeling (an endorphin induced feeling I'm sure) then at the end meditating thinking back over what was achieved in the session.

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Well, I suspect pretty much everyone will be picking the art they currently practice :P. Of the karate styles I have personally experienced, I like Shorin-Ryu the best, which makes sense since it is my primary area of study. The focus on speed and technique over strength, and the practical approach to self defense through kata application and cross-training have really had a huge impact on me.

Outside of that, though, I find Uechi-Ryu and old, semi-obscure family systems to be quite interesting.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Having studied Goju Ryu, Shotokan and Uechi Ryu (and graded in each), as well as trained with Wado Ryu and Goju Kai (its not really different from Goju Ryu???), I find Goju Ryu most appealing to me (personally). ITS THE BEST!

------------

Goju Ryu (Yushinkan since 1989), Shotokan (JKA since 2005)

Shotokan. It's the style I've trained the most in out of Wado Ryu, Goju Ryu and Kyokushin.

"It's not the style that's important, it's the practitioner. No style is superior to the other if you practice and train hard, ANY style can be effective."

- Me!!!!!!!

Shindokan Saitou-ryu!!

Imho, Shindokan has everything that I could ask for and then some. It has an indepth grappling system that's not seen in many other main stream Karate styles. It's brand of Tuite, imho, is complete in its totality; it's a get in your face and rub your face in the ground until your face is removed type of Tuite. It's close range techniques are simple, yet they are exciting across the board. This is just a small note of why Shindokan is my favorite karate style.

Is Shindokan complete? NO!! No style of the MA is complete! If a style says that it is, well, imho, they're not being honest with themselves and they're not being honest with the MA world. Soon as I meet that complete style of the MA, well, I'll quit Shindokan faster than a speeding bullet.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Well, I suspect pretty much everyone will be picking the art they currently practice :P.

That.

For me, I like how the front stance and footwork of shototkan has allowed me to bridge the gap with hand techniques instead of kicks. Specifically the deep front stance (notice that I didn't say long) and the explosion forward when punching. For me this is useful for two reasons:

1. I have spent significant time in Korean arts where everybody else concentrates on kicks, so they aren't used to attacks that start with hand techniques. This is doubly true when they don't realize I can reach them with my hands from what they think is kicking range.

2. As you get older, your kicks get lower and slower, while your hand skills decay at a much slower rate.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance