• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and welcome, michaelkar.

What will these 10 points be used for?

Thanks,

Patrick

Thanks for the response, michaelkar. If you are a student working on a paper, then this is fine. Thanks.

Maybe you could share the points you have and see how people feel about them. Might help get things going.

Best of luck,

Patrick

Because if you want to list every Martial Artist as a leathal weapon that could kill, then you would also have to inlcude anyone who has gone through military training.

Well I'd say no because I'd assume you would you have to be able to define a martial art and if said martial art was teaching effective skills to determine if it was lethal. Would systematic martial arts practice make you any more lethal than 2 guys messing around in their basement with a punching bag? Is an old lady practicing Tai Chi for her health lethal?

Also does it mater if the training is effective or not for you to be considered a lethal weapon? Martial gymnastics or something like XMA isn't necessarily trying to teach you to be a top fighter per se. And if some styles are exempt from the lethal - label, how would you go about deciding which are and which aren't? MAs aren't all too well regulated so I could teach something dangerous and call it Tai Chi to my students or I could also teach what I call full contact Muay Thai when really it was about as lethal as ballet.

You might also argue that a lot of budo styles also impart a moral code alongside physical skills so there is a sense of responsibility.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Should martial artist be considered a lethal weapon?

Depends on who practices it, for how long and how effective they become.

Someone can do Karate (for example) for 20 years and still not be able to fight effectively, or be willing to use violence.

Someone can be naturally aggressive and practice a MA for a short time and be quite lethal.

When you get to a more advanced level you may start to unravel the "hidden" self defence techniques or to start learning pressure points and vulnerable areas. Normally by this stage you also understand the non-agressive side of being a MA.

Paradoxically, Martial Arts is the Way of Peace. You grow a reverence for all Life, Honor is what it's all about not Lethality. If you had understanding of any Martial Art; you would find no logic to this question.

Look to the far mountain and see all.