• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Complaints

So you do your best - get insurance, get Police checks done, get first aid trained, walk a million miles delivering leaflets to your Dojo, research the best hall in the best location on the best night, spend a lot of time earning nothing to build up the new clubnight, appoint a child protection officer to deal with any serious problems, bend over backwards to keep everyone pleased, constantly research your Art/Style and keep up your own training to provide the best teaching.

Then you get a few complaints! One was because we trained several minutes after the end time and their daughter was tired (after putting no effort in another 7 minutes shouldn't have made any difference...)

Next was a moan from another mother/daughter that I had given them something outside of their syllabus and they couldn't deal with it - we often push students with more complicated stuff to stretch their minds a bit and see how they cope.

To top the lot a complaint about someones daughter who's forearms were a bit painful after training, we were doing some pad work as we had to use a smaller hall, after a load of strikes/kicks I wanted to demonstrate the blocks being used as forearm smashes.

The person that took the initial complaint has already suggested we wrap them in cotton wool next time...

We are expecting another as we have some students with "issues" that we try our best to cater for, one of these ended up messing about last lesson and ended up being sat out for the last 10 minutes.

I am thinking of getting an adult only class setup to run after one of my normal classes so we can seperate the kids as that's where the problems seem to be.

It also seems that for the last few weeks I may as well have been speaking another language as some students aren't taking much notice of my teaching/guideance. I still get great feedback but there are some who seem to only go through the motions for 50 minutes a week and then moan at you!

Does anyone else have times like these?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I haven't heard any complaints for a while, but I'm not the head guy, so I may be bypassed.

My suggestion is to run your school your way, and not be swayed by those that complain and may not really understand what is going on. And don't worry too much about it. If they keep complaining and leave, then they probably weren't that committed, anyway. You'll keep the better students that way, and those that don't want to train will find any excuse to filter their way out.

I'm not surprised parents are complaining about their kids being tired and sore. We get it all the time from our parents. Most of them who complain actually don't stay and watch to see what we do.

We work them hard and stretch their brains with a bit harder stuff (really good for your brain when you work yourself harder - neuroplasticity my friends)

We tell parents that it is expected that they may be sore and tired afterwards from working hard. As the kids are young their bodies adapt to physical training to become stronger.

Can't put the image up, that sums this up. Two pictures, the first 1969 - titled 'Explain these bad grades ?' The parents and teacher stand look at the child. The second - Now -'Explain these bad grades ?' The parents and the student are looking at the teacher ! Something fundamental has changed this few decades. Can't explain it, other than i don't like it.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

We have gotten a few complains like this, which my Sensei typically responds to with "karate requires effort and contact to learn, and sometimes that hurts." Sometimes they stay, and sometimes they don't, but it works out better for us in the long run, in my opinion.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Never really had complaints like those. Parents of our students usually ask us to work them extra hard so they will be tired. As for holding class late they understand that we are either running behind say sparring or for promotions. The only real complaints I can remember was on a couple different occasions we've been asked when jr is going to get their next belt because that kid started after him got promoted first. And usually jr hasn't been practicing on their stuff outside class is the case normally.

I know what you me about the way kids have been acting out a lot lately. Even our kids that we usually don't have to call down have been in the mix too. It's like they're all wired up coming into class.

As the current Kaicho, I've had to put out a few fires from time to time, but either our complaints are being handled before they get to me, or our Hombu is doing a better job across the board and no one has anything to complain about.

LISTEN!! This, imho, is the most vital tool one can have when addressing any said complaint. And not just listening. One has to listen to what's being said and how it's being said.

*Listen closely to the real problem the customer describes.

*Repeat the problem back to the customer.

*Say that you're sorry for whatever happened.

*Get to the root of the problem.

*Express appreciation to the customer for bringing the complaint to your attention.

*Solve said complaint(s) in a very timely manner.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Can't put the image up, that sums this up. Two pictures, the first 1969 - titled 'Explain these bad grades ?' The parents and teacher stand look at the child. The second - Now -'Explain these bad grades ?' The parents and the student are looking at the teacher ! Something fundamental has changed this few decades. Can't explain it, other than i don't like it.

How true... I remember if a policeman called you were then in deep trouble twice, now most people would call it harassment!

Thanks for all comments, it's amazing how many kids expect to grade automatically because they have turned up most weeks, regardless of effort.

I will do my best to listen to them, remind them that it's a Martial Art and includes effort and contact - as a Sensei - then ensure that I will do my best to make sure it doesn't happen again - as they are customers...